Content import was unsuccessful

Hello Ghost Community,

I’m currently facing a challenging issue with importing a backup that I created a few months ago. I have two websites, and while the import process has been successful for one of them, the other website, which is related to coding and programming, consistently fails during the import. I receive an email notification each time, indicating that the import has failed. I’ve provided some references and details below:

Weird Scenario: To further investigate, I attempted to import the same JSON backup into another Ghost instance hosted on a different Docker host, and surprisingly, it was a successful operation. I also tried increasing the max_body... to 2 GB, but that didn’t resolve the issue.

Ghost Setup: Here’s an image of my Ghost setup for reference: Ghost Setup Screenshot

Email Notification: You can find a screenshot of the email notification here: Email Notification Screenshot

Container Logs: For additional insights, I’ve attached the container logs: Container Logs Screenshot

I’m open to sharing any further relevant details that might help diagnose and resolve this issue. If anyone in the Ghost community has faced a similar case or has expertise in troubleshooting such problems, I would greatly appreciate your insights and assistance.

Thank you for your time and support.

Note: I am aware, similar to current question, there are 3 to 4 questions are already asked in this forum and on github. I have visited them but did not find solution.

Update: I just updated blog version from 5.5xxx to 5.60.0. Same failure import.

How big is the JSON backup file? Is the container constrained in terms of memory? You might try allowing it more memory, if so. (Imports are hard!)

You might want to try using gctools to split the json file into smaller pieces, that’ll hopefully import successfully.

1 Like

Content import size is 293 KB with posts less than 10, I guess. But this import does work with another blog of same configuration on same server…

I made 5 parts using gctools, but nothing was imported successfully.

I’m sorry to hear that you are having problems with import. I know how frustrating it can be to try something that won’t work. :). Been there many times.

Have you tried the following:

• Check the user permissions on the new instance
  • Check the Ghost versions on the original instance
  • Try to import content to localhost default installation to see if it is going to work there
  • You said that the blog is about programming - check if you have some special characters inside the content (long shoot but I’m just giving the ideas)
  • Check logs - screenshots that you have sent are not providing enough information

I hope that at least one item from this list will help you go in right direction

2 Likes

Thanks @IrisThemes

• I agree about user permission.
  • I tried with both 5.5.xx and 5.60.0
  • I tried import on another blog on the same server it did work. It was already created. But I created new blog (3rd one) and tried to import backup it did not work.
  • Yes I can share some error logs from ghost logs folder.

Post is updated.

Experiment: I have another VPS from different host (middle-host). I installed docker ghost with similar configurations. And import did work successfully. Surprised. I think it is all about permissions.

Update: Note able to edit post. So adding here.

Experiment: I have another VPS from different host (middle-host). I installed docker ghost with similar configurations. And import did work successfully. Surprised. I think it is all about permissions.

Error logs: I found them today.