Custom cards when creating/editing a story

Hey!

Are you planing on implementing the feature to let us make custom cards? You can insert an image, a YouTube video, etc. But it would be cool if we can make a custom card for, for example, to let bloggers insert a hosted video, or a Google Maps iframe, etc.

I read in the forums that it might be in your road map, but is there any news about the topic?

If this isn’t a feature you’re willing to implement, is there any friendly way for the blogger to do it other than inserting the HTML code?

Thank you!

It’s on the long-term roadmap but there’s no in-progress work on it at the moment. When there’s news there will be news :wink:

is there any friendly way for the blogger to do it other than inserting the HTML code?

Inserting a HTML block with the relevant embed code is the recommended way to do it.

1 Like

Is it possible to embed another post/post card base on slug/id ? can i use handlebars within the custom html card section ? i know its possible directly in theme-ing and in the theme code, but is it possible to quick embed a card inside the editor for example? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you expand on this a bit? What is it you’re trying to do? What do you expect the output to look like?

No, it’s plain HTML, the html field of all posts/pages is generated at time of saving, all post content is static.

Could you explain a bit more what you mean by this? What card are you trying to quick embed?

The first and the last are basicly the same…

The possibility to be able to embed a card that links to another post in the system, just like when you link to a page on facebook you get this pretty card with an image, just like casper display’s post-card on the bottom, would be cool to be able to link to older posts for example or newer posts from within the editor, i know its possible to {{#get}} a post in handlebars and embed that single post as a card but that would be heavy to have to create a custom template for every post just to get that 1 single link, just as an example.

Last one would be correctly “is it possible to embed a post (card) from within the editor”

1 Like

+1 for including post/page/excerpt via an editor card.
-1 for reviving a year-old thread? :innocent:

If you paste a link to one of your site’s posts then it will be inserted as a bookmark card. Is there a use-case I’m missing?

Bookmark cards were added in Ghost 2.30.0.

1 Like

Oh hey I missed the bookmark card, it works, nice! I guess this is what @antonkristensen was asking.

There is the use case of inserting page/post full contents, as {{#get}} does: We have a sponsors section, which is the same for at least fi and en versions of one page.

Natural way to do this is add page sponsors, then include that to other pages. I first did include it in index.hbs with #get, but as the site structure changed, I hacked it with javascript template so that editors can add a <sponsors> html block where ever :hugs:

1 Like

@rserentill is this what you want?

https://storytelling.cool/storytelling-with-ghost/

Here is a recommendation from my side if someone is thinking of implementing this option avoiding the user introducing directly HTML.

For example, using Markdown, as is a safer alternative to directly using HTML, as it helps mitigate security risks. Plus, Markdown makes it easy to add images and a touch of style to text, making it a more versatile and secure choice for custom card creation.

Hello, @Kevin do you have any progress on this feature (the possibility to add custom cards to a theme) ?

If/when there’s any progress the topic will be updated, there’s nothing to share at the moment.

What I was thinking is in-article related posts retrieved by tag/tags and date.

You can do this on a template level (but not in-article) and you could manually do this using a HTML card but it would be cool to be able to do this dynamically within the editor via a card just like you can with WordPress’ block editor.

Best use case would be for us news publishers.

1 Like

FWIW – When I was on Wordpress, there was a Related Posts plugin that let you choose the stories you wanted listed in the block, rather than have them auto-selected based on tag or something.

It gave you a dialog where you could search for a word in the title, and once you found it, you could add it to the list for that block. AND, you could decide if the other story would include the story you were on as a Related Story as well.

It was VERY cool, and exceptionally handy. Generated a lot of cross-story traffic.

Don’t know if such would be possible on Ghost, since Ghost doesn’t do plugins, but it would be great if someone could figure out how to do it.

1 Like

It was this one: Custom Related Posts – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

1 Like