Darshan Hiranandani : How do I install Ghost on a shared hosting?

Hello everyone,

I’m Darshan Hiranandani, I hope you’re doing well! I’m currently hosting a lightweight blog with GreenGeeks and considering a switch from Wordpress to Ghost. I’ve been exploring options but haven’t found a clear answer yet: Is it possible to install Ghost on GreenGeeks’ shared hosting plans without needing root access? I understand it’s typically feasible with a VPS, but given my current hosting costs, I’m hesitant to upgrade significantly.

Has anyone successfully installed Ghost on GreenGeeks’ shared hosting or found a workaround for running it without root access? Any insights or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Best regards,
Darshan Hiranandani

There is a way to install Ghost on shared hosting. But your shared hosting must support nodejs and SSH access. Even it supports to said two things, you will face to inode limits in your shared hosting as every shared hosting has a file limit. When updating to a new Ghost version, then it will consume more files count with version folder. My recommendation is, don’t use shared hosting.