Ghost on shared hosting

Hello, is it possible to run Ghost on shared hosting with Directadmin?

To install Ghost, you’ll need shell access. Please refer to the official guides.

Thanks for the respond, i saw the instaation guide but i dont know what option i need to use? Ubuntu/Docker/Source?

Is your server running Ubuntu Linux?

how can i know? i use it with directadmin

I don’t know DirectAdmin.

Normally Ghost uses root access to setup service management, SSL renewal and Nginx.

It seems technically possible to run Ghost without root access, but it would take more advanced setup, and I’m not aware of a tutorial for that.

I have the same question. I have the impression that “self-hosting” ghost is (only) for technical users, familiar with shell access to their servers. (Everybody else needs to buy the subscription service.)

Surely, if WordPress can produce an installation script that runs from the browser (granted, after having set up a MySQL database via your server’s control panel) then a relatively simple system like ghost could also be installed that way?

That is indeed correct:

Self-hosting is the best choice for teams who are comfortable managing servers, databases and Node.js apps who want full control over their environment.

Source

Ghost also has an installation script that runs on the browser. Similar to WordPress, once your infrastructure is set up, you’re greeted with this screen:

Vs. this from WordPress (note how this is step 5 out of the installation process): How to install WordPress – Advanced Administration Handbook | Developer.WordPress.org

Now, the ease of installing WordPress outside of their own hosting solution comes from individual web hosting companies providing “1-click-installs” that take care of the underlying infrastructure as well.

You have the same with Ghost – just at a much smaller level, since Ghost is a) newer and b) not as widely used (yet?).

Some dedicated Ghost hosters (all of which work with 1-click-installs and take care of updates, configurations, etc.):

Then there is pikapods.com and digitalocean.com, which are more like a “managed self-hosting” options. You get a virtual server, they set it up for you, but most configurations, etc. are up to you.

And finally, you also have some bigger names in the web hosting world, which offer Ghost hosting alongside WordPress (usually also on a less-managed level, meaning you’ll still have to take care of some tech stuff):

So, for me, the beauty of Ghost is really that you can choose a kinds of different tastes.

Want to take care of all the tech yourself? You can rent your own server and do everything yourself.

Want to make sure the infrastructure is there, but you still want to configure things yourself? Go for an infrastructure provider like PikaPods or Digital Ocean.

Want to make sure your entire Ghost site is managed and you can just publish stuff? Go with Ghost(Pro) or one of the other managed hosters.

2 Likes