Disable sign in confirmation email

Hi,

On my site I don’t require members to sign up / log in. Instead I have a form where users can submit their email address to get a weekly newsletter. Their emails will be stored by a third party mailer, which will also handle the newsletter.

How can I disable the confirmation email?

Any help here would be great, thanks

Joe

1 Like

To fight spam and respect users’ inboxes, it’s not possible to disable the confirmation email.

If you’re using a separate email service, you could disable Portal signups altogether and use a sign-up form from the third-party mailer instead – if that works…

Similar question: Is there a way to configure to disable “Subscription confirmation email” step, lots of my newsletter customers complained that they clicked the subscribe button on website but always forgot to click the system email in their inbox to double confirm. I understand the concern about spam, but it might be. a redundant step for group of people and newsletter platform. Are we flexible enough to provide newsletter owners an option to simplify their subscriber’s user experience, consider it as customer obsession. Thanks.

@RyanF I completely understand the importance of respecting user’s inboxes and fighting spam. However, I believe there’s a critical aspect to consider here: user experience and lead conversion.

People receive numerous emails daily, and it’s quite easy for a confirmation email to be overlooked or forgotten. If users don’t confirm within 24 hours, the link expires, leading them to repeat the entire process – most people would just give up if they have to go back to their email multiple times just to confirm.

Would it be possible to consider adding the auto-confirm options within the ghost admin ? we could choose if we want to automatically add free signups or not. Similar to Convertkit.
Or at the very least, either send us a notification email of someone who attempted to sign up. Or display people who have signed up for the newsletter but not yet confirmed in the admin dashboard. This would allow us to follow up with a customized reminder email that might be more effective than the default confirmation email sent by Ghost. The % of people who sign up and confirm vs just sign up is much smaller and it would be nice for us to know that difference.

I was using convertkit for my newsletter for a short time and I had turned on the option to double opt in users. About 80% of the people who signed up did not confirm their emails, but you get to see that in your dashboard and then make some business decisions. I switched to ghost because I like the product.

Please consider at least sending ghost admins a notification email for people who have signed up.

1 Like

I totally get your point but it would be great to have the users decide for themselves. It feels a bit like training wheel on a bike when the company wants to protect me. However, I am old enough and when I use Ghost as a website platform but decide to send my newsletter with Beehiive, I want to decide which service sends the confirmation email. Imagine Beehiiv would handle it the same or any other service out there. It would be a flood of confirmation emails and totally distract the user. And to be honest, I prefer to have a button than I can switch on an off than fiddle around in HTML or whatnot to implement signup forms from Beehiiv into Ghost :) Thanks!

How is it spam or not respecting their inboxes when they entered their emails? It’s widely known that double opt in greatly reduces subs including people who wanted to but met too much friction.