Emailing Blog Subscribers from Ghost?

Hi all,
I just setup DO + Ghost and sending new posts via email (tried the test sending) works great. I did it via the Mailgun settings.

Unfortunately I can’t get signup etc. to work. Do I need to configure anything else here to get transactional emails to work as well?

Thank you guys :slight_smile:

You need to change the second email setting (transport I think, in config.production.json file) from Direct to Mailgun or something else as well.

Thank you dsecareanu,

I got it to work, but now I am struggeling with the from-adress :frowning:

To not mix it up, I put it in a different thread:

If you you have an idea this would be perfect - thank you all a lot.

Actually I’m trying to setup my own mail config through AWS SES and I get an error, even though the config seems to be correct. However, I’m not sure what the test email is now testing in the Labs config, the config.production.json setup or the members email setup? Thanks.

@Sebastian_Tischer I also seem to have your very same issue with the members email… default email is @blog.mydomain.com rather than the @domain.com… I wish this was adjustable as it’s not usable in this manner.

Hi dsecareanu,

I got mine to work now and after changing the domain to the one without www it is much more appealing :slight_smile:

Do you get an actual error message?
Have you tried - just out of curiosity - to test it with Mailgun, if this is a config or actual AWS SES issue?

No actual error message, but I assume it’s the config.production.json email settings that are not working. I’ve created a Mailgun account and configured the members area, but I assume I should configure the blog to send through Mailgun as well…

Yes, you need to configure it both in the backend and in the config file.

The config should look like this:

“mail”: {
“transport”: “SMTP”,
“from”: “sebastian@theelephant.io”,
“options”: {
“service”: “Mailgun”,
“host”: “smtp.eu.mailgun.org”,
“port”: 465,
“secureConnection”: true,
“auth”: {
“user”: “postmaster@YOURMAILGUNDOMAIN”,
“pass”: “YOUR PASSWORD OF THE DOMAIN - click on reset password and copy it from the alert”
}
}
},

In the backend you only need the first part of the appearing email before the domain, the private api key, the domain and the EU/US data center type.

Did you tried it out? :slight_smile:

Something is wrong with Ghost email newsletter

Test email : Works
Subscribe email : Works
Newsletter email : Not Working (I am getting Domain : smtp.mailgun.org not found at the logs)

You need to enter the domain you registered in the email service there, not the host adress ;)

Like: mail.theelephant.io

It’s worked, Thanks for the clarification.

I didn’t realize that I must enter my domain there.

Going to close this thread now. The original question was “is it possible to email subscribers from Ghost”. At the time of answering it wasn’t possible, but we literally released the feature the same day :tada:

The rest of this thread has become a bit of a mess of debugging how to configure it. I’ve already done a long write up of how to setup email properly with members here:

If you’re still stuck, here’s a repeat of how to get help:

Getting Help

If you’re having problems after following the steps in this thread and you want help troubleshooting your configuration, please start your own new “Help” thread, and make sure you share all the details including:

• your platform details - where and how you’re installing Ghost
  • what theme you are using
  • your member settings (is allow free signup on or off)
  • which type of email is not working
  • your configuration for the broken email type
  • any errors you’re seeing

And we’ll be able to help troubleshoot on a case-by-case basis.

1 Like