Fathom, Plausible, Simple Analytics... which is the best privacy-focused Google Analytics alternative?

Does anybody have any experience with any other analytical tools? I’ve always used Google Analytics, but having moved to Ghost for the lightweight experience, I don’t want to start plastering Cookie Banners all over the place and having to deal with cookies etc.

What are you all using? I want to set up Analytics right away, so I don’t want to wait. But, I also don’t have any MRR at present, being a new build. So, ideally it’d either need to be cheap, or have free plan. This almost instantly rules out Simple Analytics, as I know they start at £19p/m, however, it looks extremely good and that’s why it’s still on the list.

GoAccess

2 Likes

GoatCounter (free for non-commercial use)
Very happy with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cloudflare have one.

Plausible is pretty good and reasonably priced.

big fan of plausible! its just enough analytics you need. and love their mission

Ghostboard - Analytics of your Ghost blog is another option. It’s designed for Ghost and is priced similar to Plausible.

I’ve been using Plausible for a while and loving it. Great, simple interface, privacy-focused, & they’re based in Europe like I am.

The latter point is, I recall, why I chose them over Fathom & Simple. I believe all 3 are solid options.

1 Like

I’ve been using GoSquared since the start of the year.

I work with the original developer of Fathom. It’s a good tool and privacy focussed which was the main purpose of creating that tool.

I’m using a self-hosted instance of Plausible and it’s very good

Self-Hosting is without the GUI is it?

No, you have the GUI as well

1 Like

Oh, interesting! I thought it was just like an API that could plug into. Wow. That’s cool!

Or just still using google analytics, but without the cookies : Hate cookie banners? Want more privacy? Me too!

I’m using Umami. It’s self-hosted, open-source, has a nice UI, includes the most essential features, and is blazing fast on a $5 DigitalOcean droplet. I’ve been using it for about a month so far and I’ve really enjoyed my experience.