Full multi-language support

I’ve implemented the proposals from the existing tutorial, but it’s really just a kludge if you have a site where the same content is presented in several languages, as is common in the global world we live in.

This goes beyond just tagging content. It needs to be dynamic, everything from the menu, secondary menu to author bio and messages needs to be translated and displayed in the language chosen by the site visitor.

I think the same. There should be native multi-language support right from the Admin UI without tinkering with themes.

1 Like

Especially when it comes to a website encyclopedia, so not all of my Russian-speaking users can search through English search bar.

1 Like

There are some more information regarding multi-language in this post: Multi-language blog with a multi-language theme - #20 by DavidDarnes

Actually you can not support multi language in full site. Maybe in feature ghost will add this feature. Here is a custom dev experience Ghost Multi-Language Theme: Custom Dev Experience - Themes - Ghost Forum

2 Likes

Agreed. Currently, it is a very manual process that is relatively theme-specific and requires careful SEO effort, etc.

The configuration is not impossible, but mostly tedious and inaccessible to most content creators (e.g., those who are not technically inclined). That’s exactly where Ghost can play & make the biggest impact. It should take ownership of this development, especially as it is commonly requested.

IMHO, setting two locales + tags should be enough, with an online editor for the soft-coded text strings. Most bilingual content creators can translate our content ourselves, but needing to become Handlebars / Ghost devs or pay again (Ghost Pro + theme + translation up-keep) for theme-specific development (+ support for future breaking changes) just to segregate content properly (SEO, HTML tags, pages, strings) is not an insignificant barrier.

EDIT: to be sure, this is from the perspective of Ghost(Pro) customers. Others who self-host Ghost aren’t quite in the same boat, IMO.

I created a multilanguage website with Ghost.