Getting the post feature image onto a Linkedin post

What do I need to do to make a post’s featured image show up when I post a link to one of my Ghost posts on Linkedin?

Hi @BillBennett, I believe it pulls from the image within the Facebook card under Post Settings. Unfortunately only the Facebook title seems to be used, not the description.

I have a related problem. When I share a post from Ghost on LinkedIn, later change this image, and then link to the page again, LinkedIn still uses the old image. Does anyone know how to get Ghost or LinkedIn to update this?

Ah. I don’t have a Facebook account so maybe that explains why no picture shows.

Hmm. I have not tied my site to any Facebook account and I still get images to appear on LinkedIn, so I do not think that should matter as long as you enter info in the Facebook card section.

I haven’t been doing that. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Try the Post Inspector, will tell you if somethings wrong and what needs to be fixed.

And you can also test with Social Share Preview

1 Like

Hi Adam, I believe the LinkedIn Post Inspector will refresh the poster image…

1 Like

Thank you @mheland! I searched LinkedIn Help and Google high and low to no avail for this resource. I knew something like it had to exist. Really appreciate your help.

1 Like

False, facebook has nothing to do with it. It takes the raw content URL of the preview URL. In Ghost it’s called the “Feature Image” and it’s on the top of the post edit page.

@block that may be the intent, but not the actual results that I have seen. I just posted my homepage this morning to LinkedIn and it pulled from my Facebook Card image and headline rather than the Publication Cover (the equivalent of a Feature Image on a post). When I have posted to LinkedIn in the past, it has always pulled the headline from the Facebook Card.

The “Facebook” fields correlate to data that is used to populate Open Graph Protocol meta data on your site, that protocol was initially introduced by Facebook and is generally referred to as Facebook in UI because the underlying technology means nothing to most people. Many (if not all) sites that grab data from a shared site to create previews will use any existing structured Open Graph data over other data they may be able extract from the shared site.

In a similar sense the “Twitter” fields will output Twitter-specific meta fields on your site, which again a lot of sites that create previews for shared links will read, although typically they will prefer the Open Graph data over the Twitter data when it’s present.

1 Like