Ghost install asking for sudo password

I’m trying to install Ghost on a DigitalOcean droplet with Ubuntu 18.04. I followed the docs for this exactly, but when I run ghost install, it asks for sudo password after finishing the “setting up instance” step when going through prompts. The problem is, there isn’t a sudo password. The server is setup to only allow SSH keys. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but I’ve been hacking away at this for hours and don’t know what I’m missing.

Ghost needs to have sudo access in order to configure services like systemd and nginx / SSL. You can create a password by running passwd. As long as your server only allows key-based SSH login, you should be fine. If you don’t want to do that, you’ll have to manually configure systemd / nginx / SSL.

So, I’ve added a sudo password, and every step that asks for it fails for an unknown reason after entering the sudo password. This is on a totally clean server doing a fresh setup. Is there some certain way the user should be setup that isn’t explicitly outlined in the Ghost docs? I’ve followed these docs exactly and it just doesn’t work.

Can you try running one of the commands it runs manually to see what the error is?

Well, I guess I must have mistyped something because I just went through the whole thing again and it worked this time (setting a sudo password this time around).