Ghost.io Custom Domain and Network Solutions

This post is provided as a service to the Ghost community.

When using custom domain names with ghost.io the recommended procedure is to use a cname to point to your blogname.ghost.io and then to edit the blog name in the ghost.io portal to match your blogname.com

Unfortunately, this is a problem when using Network Solutions as your DNS host. Network Solutions does not support using a domain name root, for example thecherrypress.com with a cname. They only support sub-domains such as blog.thecherrypress.com.

The solution requires two steps.

1. create a cname at network solutions for blog.thecherrypress.com and then name your site as blog.thecherrypress.com within the ghost.io hosting panel.

However if you stop here when someone types in thecherrypress.com instead of the sub domain they will receive an error. So the second step is:

1. Use the Network Solutions forward option to forward thecherrypress.com to blog.thecherrypress.com

I hope this is helpful.

P.S. I did not figure this out on my own. A shout out to the excellent support at ghost.io.

Irv

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.