Has the Ghost team considered participating in Google SoC/GCI?

Home | Google Summer of Code, Google Code-in Archive - Google Code-In and Google Summer of Code are events organised by Google. It’s an excellent opportunity to get new contributors as well as to accelerate projects.
Some participating organisations are Apache, Fedora, Git, Jenkins.

Has the Ghost team ever considered participating in GSoC/GCI? What is the team’s opinion on this? :smiley:

Disclaimer: I don’t work for/ am affiliated with Google; I’m just a student who’s a fan of both the contests as well as the work put behind Ghost. I strongly believe Ghost can benefit from this, so I took the time to sign up and post this :)

I completely understand where you’re coming from, but from our perspective these kinds of contests and events are too resource intensive to be useful.

We are a tiny, tiny team who are already working flat out. We know from experience that the formalities created by events like this require significant time & input from the team, as well as the volume and time sensitive nature making them awkward to fit in around our own goals.

Add to that the fact we just grew our product team from 2 to 5, and you can see that at this particular time our coaching and mentoring efforts are focused internally.

None of that precludes you from getting involved though - we’re more than happy to receive contributions and work with anyone who wants to contribute to Ghost.

3 Likes