How to solve node problem

Community members shouldn’t have to jump around threads.

If you need assistance, keep it in one place, and provide updates when something is fixed. I’m merging this thread, too.

@mjw
check the error message
Ghost instance is not running! Starting…

• sudo systemctl start ghost_dumup-com
  • sudo systemctl stop ghost_dumup-com
    :heavy_multiplication_x: Starting Ghost
    A GhostError occurred.

Kindly review my posts (as well as those of @jannis) and supply the requested information. It is your responsibility to provide context to your problem.

2 Likes

Hey Ghost community,

I hope you’re all doing well. I’m currently facing an issue with my Ghost app self installation and could use some assistance or insights from those experienced with troubleshooting.

Problem Description: Upon attempting to start my Ghost forum, I’m encountering an unexpected hurdle – the loading screen appears, but the forum won’t proceed beyond that point. I’ve performed initial checks, such as verifying Node.js version, user permissions, and ensuring the MySQL installation is valid. Despite passing these checks, the loading screen persists,

root2@linux:/var/www/dumup_com$ ghost doctor

Love open source? We’re hiring JavaScript Engineers to work on Ghost full-time.
https://careers.ghost.org

✔ Checking system Node.js version - found v18.17.0
✔ Checking logged in user
✔ Ensuring user is not logged in as ghost user
✔ Checking if logged in user is directory owner
✔ Checking current folder permissions
✔ Checking system compatibility
✔ Checking for a MySQL installation
+ sudo systemctl is-active ghost_dumup-com
✔ Validating config
✔ Checking folder permissions
✔ Checking file permissions
✔ Checking content folder ownership
✔ Checking memory availability
✔ Checking binary dependencies
✔ Checking free space
✔ Checking systemd unit file
✔ Checking systemd node version - found v18.17.0
root2@linux:/var/www/dumup_com$ ghost restart 

Love open source? We’re hiring JavaScript Engineers to work on Ghost full-time.
https://careers.ghost.org

+ sudo systemctl is-active ghost_dumup-com
Ghost instance is not running! Starting...
+ sudo systemctl start ghost_dumup-com
☲ Starting Ghost

Why are you pasting random AI-generated content? What’s this “ghost forum” you’re trying to install?

Please follow the template and provide all requested information, including the troubleshooting ChatGPT says you did.

1 Like

Can you try to focus on my issues. Avoid errors. Plz:)

There’s nothing in your post that would help with finding an error. In another thread you posted an SQLite error message, so I’m not even sure what type of install this is.

Three regulars have politely asked you to provide context to your issue. Please review what was said, and share relevant details.

What’s more, please be respectful toward volunteer community members. You’re likely to be ignored if you demand assistance or use AI generated content.

Which detail? I share screen shoot , I’m unable to start ghost after updating to last version. Stuck connections error message. I try some command and found errors related to MySQL. Everything seems correct and show green.
Why updates to the the latest ghost version show error connections

I search for similar threads having same issues but nothing works, stuck on start loop and show errors connection
…50
I don’t know the issues that 's I’m asking expert. I resolve node version issues
I run ghost doctor everything show green

Provide context means details of your server, how you installed Ghost and other dependencies, etc.

It’s already been noted that you have two versions of Node running. What version is in your PATH? Did you check the logs? Did you run ghost doctor and so on.

Screen shots show all details, why I will share dependencies(show green).
VPs Ubuntu
I fix all problems related to node version.
Using 18.17

You can check the category of the thread. I post the thread in self-hosting option. Why I will post so much details and spent much time for something or context. The pictures and screen show everything.
Commands ans errors message

Why my website stuck

You know people are doing this voluntarily and you’re asking for help here. Be kind and grateful or fix it yourself. I would suggest your review this article: How do I ask a good question? - Help Center - Stack Overflow

2 Likes

@jannis @mjw I have the same issue and would appreciate your help on it. The problem changed a bit as I progressed but I am still stuck with an error. Here are my steps:

1. Updated node from 16 to 18. First, I tried using nvm but the changes weren’t permanent, so I installed n as described in this guide: How to Update Node and NPM to the Latest Version.

2. Critically, I had to update Node in the root server where I logged into. I am self-hosting on DigitalOcean. Changes made to the ghost-usr were not permanent.

3. Likewise, I had to update ghost-cli in the root server. Which means I had to run npm install -g ghost-cli@latest in the root server. My npm was also outdated, so I updated it there.

4. The step described above about updating the systemd service config file did help. I used which node to figure out the node location of the node 18.18.2 version I had just installed. Then I updated the path in /lib/systemd/system/ghost_dumup-com.service at this part ExecStart=/path/to/your/compatible/node/version /usr/bin/ghost run

5. Back in the Ghost user, I reupdated Ghost running ghost update --force. It worked, however, my instance was not up.

6. Running ghost doctor and ghost start revealed the following - this is from the log:

Debug Information:
Node Version: v18.18.2
Ghost Version: 5.74.0
Ghost-CLI Version: 1.25.3
Environment: production
Command: ‘ghost start’
Message: Ghost was able to start, but errored during boot with: connect ECONNREFUSED ::1:3306
Help: Unknown database error
Suggestion: journalctl -u ghost_name-com -n 50
Stack: Error: Ghost was able to start, but errored during boot with: connect ECONNREFUSED ::1:3306
at Server. (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/lib/utils/port-polling.js:73:28)
at Object.onceWrapper (node:events:631:28)
at Server.emit (node:events:517:28)
at emitCloseNT (node:net:2221:8)
at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:81:21)

journalctl:

You should be able to fix it with this :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was it! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I fix all issues by myself according to the guidelines. I respect all posts details. when They don’t know about solving some issues. They starting blame users or " the post details missing "or push clients to tell bad things about this community. Why ghost is not an official product ? It’s provide a simple services similar to blogger and WordPress. Why you tell others people to describe or put details about something they don’t understand or they don’t have a background knowledge of the item or service, your product have (two versions pro and free one#open source#). I think Experts should change their policy toward a their web engine when it use similar services like blogger,wix and WordPress…
Selfish and dispointing fact about errors and every week there is update.
Update should be 3 month or 4 month, notifications every week is not good at all seems not professional. Especially when you team change some codes and tell others or force users to change the same requirements like sQL node,cli.
Plz stop changing the Open source every week . Make it more faster. Add option
Try to add more features like colors text and backup option cloud. CDN with. Anti malware .pictures compression and more features available today as a base role on next generation CMS services

This worked for me as well to solve the issue with node 18 installed on the system, but node 16 used by Ghost.