How to update to latest Ghost update?

I have been trying to update my Ghost blog. I’ve followed the instructions from this source:
How to update Ghost on DigitalOcean!

but I still am not able to update it. It really shouldn’t be this hard to update. I used the terminal and followed all the steps but first the issue was with the amount of memory, then I used another computer and again followed the instructions and the issue was something about node being outdated.

If anyone can please help, it would be greatly appreciated. Is there an easier way to update???

My version is 3.4
The blog url is: inpolitical.com

Thanks in advance!
Minn

Updating is a little more difficult because you’re behind by two versions, but it’s still possible!

We have the update process (going from v3 to v5) outlined here:

1 Like

Grateful for your help Ryan, but I’m stuck on the backup part, which reads:
Run ghost backup again within a folder where Ghost was installed with Ghost-CLI.

Please advise.

This requires that Ghost CLI is up to date.

Did you run sudo npm install -g ghost-cli@latest?

1 Like

@RyanF has given good advice here.

Upgrading Ghost is easy like cleaning your house is easy: It’s a lot easier if you do it once a month, but your Ghost install hasn’t been upgraded in about 3 years. v3.4 was released in January 2020.

Since then, Ghost, MySQL, Node and Ubuntu have all gone through major version updates. So yes, it’s going to be more complex then just ghost update in this case.

Yes, I just ran it. Screenshot attached.

It still says to run backup again within a folder where Ghost was installed, and I’m not sure how to get that.

On DigitalOcean, Ghost is generally installed at

/var/www/ghost

Use the command cd to change to that directory:

cd /var/www/ghost

Also, you might’ve created another user when installing Ghost. Upon login to your droplet, there’s usually a prompt giving you a command on how to switch to that user. You should do that to ensure a smooth upgrade path.

Thanks…I’m sorry but I am really lost on this. Is there any way to have someone update my site?

I have followed all the steps but nothing seems to work. screenshot attached.

Now I am stuck on …/var/www/ghost. What do I do now?

If I need to enter a user, please let me know where to find it. I am in my droplet on digital ocean, but I don’t know where to find that information.

Any help is appreciated.

Try running:

sudo -i -u ghost-mgr

Then follow up with the update.

You can always try hiring someone to help you out at:

1 Like

Thank you again for your help Ryan.

I ran the "sudo -I -u ghost -mgr and then ran “ghost update” but it takes me back to the “run ghost update within a folder where ghost was installed with ghost-CLI”

I think if I can get passed this part, I will be able to run the update.

Which directory are you in now?

You can show your current directory with the command: pwd

It reads: /home/ghost-mgr

You need to navigate back to your install:

cd /var/www/ghost

Then try running the commands.

Okay tried that and it said to upload first to v3.42.9, so I ran that update and it now says “An error has occurred” message: ‘fs.rmSync is not a function’

At least it is moving along! Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

fs.rmSync was added in Node 14, but you’re running Node 12. You’ll need to update to Node 14 to continue…

1 Like

Okay I ran * curl -fsSL [https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_14.x](https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_14.x) | sudo -E bash -

• sudo apt-get install -y nodejs

and then I ran node -v again to check the node version and it is still v12.22.12

I have troubled you enough. Thank you so much for all of your help, Ryan.
You have gone above and beyond with your assistance.

Thanks!

At least you’re making some progress.

I’d try running the command again, see if you get different results :crossed_fingers:

Thanks, unfortunately now the site doesn’t work at all. It is completely down.

Is there anything that can be done to reverse all that was done so that it works again?

In your Ghost directory, run ghost start to ensure that Ghost is running.