Need to upgrade, but can't because of Node version

Hi everyone

I upgraded the version of Node on my host machine. My current version of Ghost doesn’t support this version of Node. I ran ghost update --force which returns:

Message: Unable to update Ghost directly to v5.30.1. You must be on the latest v3.x to update across major versions. Help: Run "ghost update v3" to get the latest v3.x version, then run "ghost update" to get to v5.

When I run ghost update v3, it returns:

Ghost v3.42.9 is not compatible with the current Node version. Your node version is 16.14.2, but Ghost v3.42.9 requires ^10.13.0 || ^12.10.0 || ^14.15.0

TL;DR: I can’t update to the newest version of Ghost straightaway, but I can’t upgrade to the ghost version in the middle either because of my Node version is too high. How can I upgrade to the newest version with my current version of Node?

If Ghost in at Version 3, you’ll need to upgrade to the terminal release before moving to V5. This requires a supported version of Node for V3.

You’ll need to rollback Node. If you’re using a database other than MySQL, reinstalling may be necessary.

1 Like