Improve documentation about transactional email configuration via regular SMTP

In the following part: Configuration - Adapt your publication to suit your needs
there are information to configure Mailgun and Amazon SES but nothing about a regular/basic SMTP server.

I guess it must be almost the same as for Mailgun (cf. below) but what are we supposed to put in the options.service field? Is that just a label or does the code use that to do some things?

"mail": {
  "transport": "SMTP",
  "options": {
    "service": "Mailgun",
    "host": "smtp.mailgun.org",
    "port": 587,
    "secure": true,
    "auth": {
      "user": "postmaster@example.mailgun.org",
      "pass": "1234567890"
    }
  }
},

And in Why do I have to set up Mailgun for newsletters?
it talks about transactional vs bulk emails. It seems these are 2 different configurations but I don’t see anywhere how to configure bulk emails!? Must that be done via the admin in Settings › Members › Email newsletter › Advanced?

In think the documentation could be improved :wink:
That said, thank you for the great work already done! :+1::pray:

1 Like

It’s mostly just a label. For some smtp services you could add the service and then your wouldn’t need to provide an hostname etc as the “known” values would be used but it’s not required.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin. I’ll try that.

It seems so but to be sure… Do you know if that configuration is used only for transactional emails, not for bulk/email newsletter?

And where are we supposed to suggest modifications in the documentation? (as I’ve other things to mention :wink:)

Well, apparently it’s not just a label :confused:
Doctor says: Invalid mail service.

Removing the key mail.options.service seems to work.

But mails are not sent, there’s a really useful error message :roll_eyes::disappointed:
Failed to send email. Reason: 140718013253568:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:../deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/ssl3_record.c:332: