"need to configure mailgun" but I configured SES already

I get this message in “newsletter” settings of my post: “need to configure mailgun” but I configured SES already. I know SES configuration works because I could sent an invite to collaborate from my Ghost installation (through the admin interface).

But I can’t configure the post to send a newsletter at publishing time, nor send a test email.

I use the development version of Ghost that I installed on my mac mini. Based on the “versions” directory, I use 4.41.3.

and also:

config.development.json (“mail” entry)

"mail": {
    "transport": "SMTP",
    "from": "noreply@sohebronwatch.link",
    "options": {
      "host": "email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com",
      "port": 465,
      "service": "SES",
      "auth": {
        "user": "SMTP-SES-USER",
        "pass": "SMTP-SES-PASSWORD"
      }
    }
  }

I am not sure how to proceed for debugging. I looked at the error logs, but the error seems unrelated (something with bookshelf-filter.js not having tags).

I appreciate any help!

1 Like

For bulk newsletters, you have to use mailgun (in Ghost Admin go to Settings → Email newsletter), but for transactional email, you can use whatever you want.

See:
Why do I have to set up Mailgun for newsletters?.

1 Like

OK that is useful, thank you!

Obviously AWS SES is also capable of sending bulk email. Do I understand well there is no implemented way to use it instead of Mailgun for the bulk newletter functionality?

(and if not, would it be hard to implement, using nodemailer for instance)?

1 Like

That’s correct, and while Ghost does have some infrastructure in place to help with supporting multiple bulk email services, there are a lot of dependencies on data (e.g. email analytics) provided by mailgun at the moment

1 Like