Member emails are missing mailing address

Hi team, I noticed that for the beta the Members feature is sending emails that technically violate the CAN-SPAM Act since we need to ensure our mailing address is present on emails.

Tell recipients where you’re located. Your message must include your valid physical postal address. This can be your current street address, a post office box you’ve registered with the U.S. Postal Service, or a private mailbox you’ve registered with a commercial mail receiving agency established under Postal Service regulations.

via FTC.gov

Is this a known issue and is there a workaround for now? We won’t be able to send any emails until we can get our address in there somehow or risk violating policy.

We’re looking into giving you the ability to customize your email templates, so when that’s in place you’ll be able to add whatever you need to them!

Keep an eye on our releases and I’ll try and remember to update this thread when there’s something for you to try :relaxed:

2 Likes

Fabian, just a pro tip - if there’s a jira or github work task addressing the OP’s question you could add a like to this post in that ticket so when it’s complete you don’t have to “try and remember to update this thread”. :+1:

Thanks team. My thought is that for beta, that’s fine but when this is generally available it would be best if Ghost required a physical mailing address for configuring Members to avoid any issues. Not everyone understands the CAN-SPAM act rules (not to mention GDPR or CCPA) and if someone was fined for violating the policies, you wouldn’t want to be in the gray area of “Well, Ghost never prompted me or warned me to put in a mailing address, so it’s their fault.”

For example most providers like MailChimp won’t let you continue until you provide the required information. That’s what I use with Zapier right now.