Member Login Errors

One of our paid members is unable to sign in, with the error described in this thread: Members can't sign in, "Please enter a valid email address"

The circumstances are similar: we manually added this member in the backend a few months ago, the theme is a customized version of Casper, and we recently added Portal. We haven’t made any edits to the signup file, however, and we’re currently on 3.40.5. The email address giving the error is a me.com one.

I was able to use the link generated by “Impersonate” to bypass the error, which allowed them to temporarily log in, but they are still not able to sign in via their email address.

My latest test was to delete their account in the backend and try creating a new one from the Portal signup form. That gives a different error: “Failed to sign up, please try again.” Since I also have a me.com email address, I tested my own: same error.

Any idea how to solve this?

Update: I’ve also just tried their iCloud address and got the same error. Gmail addresses appear to be working, as well as custom domains.

@rishabhgarg I saw that you asked about logs in the older thread. This is what mine reports:

An error occurred.

Debug Information:
Node Version: v10.16.3
Ghost-CLI Version: 1.14.1
Environment: production
Command: 'ghost log -n 100'

I should also mention that I’m running Ghost on DigitalOcean. Our blog URL, for reference: https://blog.brainandbrain.co

Hey @brooklet , thanks for attaching the error log, I can see the requests failing for me.com addresses on https://blog.brainandbrain.co/ - though I am unable to reproduce the same thing on my blog for me.com address. Can you please post extended error log for around this particular error as that might help with more insight on the problem here in debugging this ?

Hmm, interesting. I did find another user on the forums who experienced the same issue with me.com addresses: BUG: short domains are considered invalid during subscription

Here’s the full text of the log file:

Debug Information:

Node Version: v10.16.3

Ghost-CLI Version: 1.14.1

Environment: production

Command: 'ghost log -n 100'

An error occurred.

Stack: TypeError: Cannot read property 'join' of undefined

at instance.isRunning.then (/usr/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/lib/commands/log.js:34:88)

at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)

Thanks for the stack-trace @brooklet . This error seems unrelated to the email issue though and something with error logging in Ghost-CLI, but it does seem like there is an issue with me.com addresses from the multiple reports. Will investigate it further, and leave an update once I have more details on it, or reach back if I need more info.

1 Like

Sorry about that, wasn’t sure from the description. I do see other error logs on there, so I’ll dig through and share if any others seem related to the issue.

Update: Looks like my other logs are unrelated to this issue, and on testing it, I don’t see any new log files appear when the error shows.

@rishabhgarg Is it possible the error is coming from Mailgun, like in this thread? Subscribe functionality from Casper theme not consistently working: "Please enter a valid email address!" - #4 by Stromfeldt

I was able to solve the issue!

Though the problem wasn’t on Mailgun’s end, I did find the solution in the thread linked to in my previous post: editing my config.production.json file. I’d installed with DigitalOcean and wasn’t aware of this file, so it wasn’t set up with my Mailgun credentials.

For anyone else with the issue:

1 Like