Add full membership support to Ghost, allowing readers to sign up, login, and comment on stories. Having readers become members opens up a lot of exciting future functionality, including:
- Paid subscriptions (like Stratechery or TheInformation)
- Personalised reading recommendations based on reading history (like Amazon)
- Personalised email newsletters based on user history (like Product Hunt)
- Detailed analytics on a per-user basis (allows advanced tools like Mixpanel/Kissmetrics to be used)
- Full community integration with Discourse via Single Sign On
- User submissions (like Hacker News)
Memberships as a core part of Ghost would primarily make the platform far more powerful in terms of the type of sites that can be built with it, and the types of apps and services which are able to integrate. This is an idea I’ve been toying with for a very long time.