{{meta_description}} situation

If I place

<title>{{meta_title}}</title>
        <meta name="description" content="{{meta_description}}">

In my <head> element (editing the theme manually, not via code injection), gscan compains:

Errors
------
Important to fix, functionality may be degraded.

- Error: The usage of {{meta_description}} in HTML head is no longer required
Files: default.hbs

However it’s still referenced in the docs (Ghost Handlebars Theme Helpers: Meta Data) and if I remove it, some marketing tools start complaining. My choice is currently between breaking continuous delivery and receiving warnings from marketing tools.

Can I get some clarification on what to do regarding this? Why was it removed? Is Ghost supposed to add the HTML code without my intervention?

• What’s your URL? https://input.sh
  • What version of Ghost are you using? 3.25.0

And

• How was Ghost installed and configured? Pretty much following the Ubuntu install docs.
  • What Node version, database, OS & browser are you using? node v10.15.3, MariaDB 10.1.44, Ubuntu 18.04.
  • What errors or information do you see in the console? N/A
  • What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having? Explained above.

Meta description is automatically output by Ghost in {{ghost_head}}

I see:

<meta property="og:description" content="...">
<meta name="twitter:description" content="...">

And the description field in JSON LD script.

I don’t see the standard <meta name="description" content="..."> field.

Do you mean to say that JSON LD syntax replaced it, making it unnecessary for the standard <meta> tag, or should the <meta> tag still be there when looking at the source of a page?

If you don’t set a meta description, then the tag is not output - which is best practice - if you set a meta description for the post/page in Ghost then it will be output automatically.