Having been a long-time fan of everything to do with Ghost (I pretty much support everything you guys are doing and am a part of a free forum software myself called Flarum), I wanted to use the platform for my very own personal online presence. I intend to get into streaming in the near future and wanted to create a central base establishing my presence in the gaming community. Well, the internet in general. I am not a professional and although I have the basics down pat when it comes to coding, I am by no means proficient. I have set up all kinds of things on my server before from blogs to forums so I’m definitely up for the challenge in learning something new though and tend to try and figure things out myself before jumping the gun in requesting support.
Apart from the items outlined on the docs and alternatives pages, what exactly is the difference between installing it myself or going with Ghost(Pro)? I’ve read some topics on this forum too but most that I have seen are outdated.
I am a perfectionist and always want things to be on my own server which is why I’m in this predicament as I have done my research and find so many people posting about how good Ghost(Pro) is. I like tampering with the simple things like footers (copyrights, ownership and the like), how things are displayed, giving my users a means of simply exploring the site, etc. What I want out of this project is a place where someone can find me, read up about me and join me in my future ventures and prospects. This would be a way of me having something out of the usual Twitch/Discord/forum scene, and allows me to build the site exactly how I want it to be without having too many constraints or issues.
I personally have a thing for this site, 27B/6. I love the minimalist approach and find it extremely easy to use with no clutter and it displays quite nicely. Would something like this be achievable using this platform?
In a nutshell, what I intend to use the site for include;
- Publishing posts and articles, perhaps the odd review or tips and tricks, product discussions, etc
- Establishing my online presence in the form of my alias (to begin with of course, who knows what the future holds!)
- I may look into generating an income (in some way, shape or form) too
Of course the above is a summed up version but I’m sure you get my drift. The price doesn’t phase me too much as the monthly charges for hosting is higher on my end, but I have a thing for paying for something that I already have if that makes sense. Regardless of my decision, I intend on supporting Ghost with a donation of some kind should things work out and this project go ahead.
I have some questions for you as well;
- Members - What is this exactly? Are these total visitors to my site or are these paid users of my site? How are they labelled as a member? Do they require registering to my site, creating their own account, etc? Do I pick and choose who a member is?
- Is the 500 member limit at any one time? If one member leaves and another joins to replace him/her, that won’t add to the cap?
- Should I opt for Ghost(Pro) and decide later to self-host, do I get access to all of my files to transfer over?
I may add this this list as things pop into my mind and after reading your replies. Thanks in advance guys and sorry for the essay…