Permanently Change Dawn Theme to Dark Mode

I’m using the latest version of Ghost and my site is located here: https://www.thriftythoughts.io/

The default Dawn theme gives users the ability to toggle the theme between light mode and dark mode as well as a system theme which grabs your preference from your machine. I am looking to essentially remove all of these options and only provide dark mode to users but I’ve been having trouble. I’ve tried editing the footer.hbs file as well as the main.js file to no avail. In particular there is a js switch function which looks like it might do the trick but that didn’t work either. I tried changing to the following where I set the second line of every case to “dark()”

switch (localStorage.getItem('dawn_theme')) {
        case 'dark':
            dark();
            break;
        case 'light':
            dark();
            break;
        default:
            dark();
            break;
    }

This blog post addressed my issue: How I Moved To Ghost 3 (And Made Ghost Dawn Dark-Mode Only)

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m a monthly paying member, and I’m currently using Dawn theme, on Ghost v5.15.0

I don’t see any option for switching between dark or light mode on Dawn theme.

I’m not sure, it has been changed since you have made this post, however I’d really appreciate if you could point out where is the toggle to switch between the dark and light mode.

Thanks in advance.

J