Post only error "Request not understood error, cannot list posts. could not understand request."

I’ve installed Ghost successfully except for this one issue of posts not working. I get 400 error with a red banner saying "Request not understood error, cannot list posts. could not understand request. "

For the sake of simplicity of communication, I’ve attached a link with a video showing the problem here: Screen recording of error

- What’s your URL?
https://karldennis.com

- What version of Ghost are you using?
Ghost-CLI version: 1.23.1
Ghost version: 5.21.0

- What configuration?
Ubuntu 20.04 with CyberPanel (non nginx) MariaDB and Cloudflare

- What browser?
Chrome, Firefox, Brave.

• What errors or information do you see in the console?

- What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having?

I followed the instructions here: How to install Ghost alongside CyberPanel on Ubuntu 20.04 without Docker

Everything works great without any problems, I can even make pages. it’s literally just the posts getting this 400 error that is the issue. As you can see also when I click on the post tabs you see the dashboard show for a very brief moment, then it goes away with the 400 error.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance to anyone kind enough to help.

Hi @dennisthemenace, Ghost v5 does not support MariaDB. You can find a lot of info about how to switch to MySQL 8 by searching the forum.

MariaDB is the whole setup with Cyberpanel so cant I just downgrade somehow to a lower version than Ghost V5 to solve the problem?

Ghost 5.20.0 works with Maria. 5.21.0 is what caused the breakage. You could stay on 5.20.0 until you can swap to MySQL8 or a patch happens to make it into knex that resolves that specific issue.

That’s great I’ll downgrade to 5.20.0

Any idea how to do that with the CLI?

I don’t mind starting the website again because it’s new.

I believe it was ghost update --rollback and that will take you back from last minor version.

But this only applies if you started with an earlier version and installed 5.0 as an update. I started with the latest version stated in my original post so what do I do in my scenario to go to that ideal version that allows MariaDB in the easiest possible way? As I mentioned before also I am happy to start fresh if that’s the solution but I’d need to know how to select the correct version that allows MariaDB and also how to ensure that it selects mariadb and not MySQL somehow too. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Update Edit: since it’s a fresh install I’ll just try reinstalling it using --version=5.20.0 and see if it helps. I’ll report if it does/doesn’t.

Update 2: Solved with this addition of --version=5.20.0 after trashing the original version of the website and reinstalling. Thanks!! :)