Rel="nofollow" for link in text, not only in html

Hi,

When someone is doing affiliate marketing link, he must use rel=“nofollow” on every paid link.

Right now, we can add rel=“nofollow” only in html block and not in the link used in text. That’s a limitation for affiliate marketer who want to link to complementary product directly in the text. We are unable to do so and we cannot risk the Google / Amazon penalty to not use rel=“nofollow” on paid link.

It would be nice to have more flexibility over the html generated by our post. We could click to a link like “edit as html” or something like it and manually insert rel=“nofollow” inside the affiliate links. Another option would be to have a cog opening more tag option when we do a link directly in the text.

Reference from Google : Use rel=“nofollow” for specific links

Paid links : A site’s ranking in Google search results is partly based on analysis of those sites that link to it. In order to prevent paid links from influencing search results and negatively impacting users, we urge webmasters use nofollow on such links. Search engine guidelines require machine-readable disclosure of paid links in the same way that consumers online and offline appreciate disclosure of paid relationships (for example, a full-page newspaper ad may be headed by the word “Advertisement”).

How many affiliate partners do you use?

Should be doable to write a script to detect affiliate links and add a nofollow rel attribute… but only if you use a limited number. I’ve been thinking of the same thing.

This would be also doable if there were an easy way to switch to raw HTML view in the editor.

I will begin with Amazon Affiliate only at first but soon after I will explore Rakuten Marketing for Walmart items and also Portals from AliExpress. Eventually this list of affiliate program will grow in order to maximise income diversification and not being too dependant on one program.

The script for affiliate link detection seems a bit hacky to me as I’m not a “good developer”, I would strongly prefer to have a raw HTML view option in editor, I think it would be more natural to directly edit HTML rather than scripting for a lot of folks out there.