Ubuntu 20.04 and MySQL 8 support

I have tried to install Ghost on Ubuntu 20.04, but it fails at too many points. It would be great if Ghost supported this new operating system to install this publishing platform.

Ă— MySQL 8 support.

We want to use the latest technology in the market. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am running Ghost on Ubuntu 20.04 for my local development environment and haven’t encountered any problems. Could you be more specific about what errors are you having exactly and what is your environment apart of Ubuntu 20.04?

1 Like
âś” Checking current folder permissions
System checks failed with message: 'Linux version is not Ubuntu 16 or 18'
Some features of Ghost-CLI may not work without additional configuration.

Ubuntu 20.04 comes by default with MySQL 8.0.20 and Ghost does not support this version.

Why not just use the SQLITE3 db?

ghost install --db sqlite3 installs on 20.04 with no issues.

Does this work with MariaDB instead of MySQL 8?

I also encountered a problem following the official guide.

The error is as follows:
Message: Creating new MySQL user errored with message: ER_UNKNOWN_SYSTEM_VARIABLE: Unknown system variable 'old_passwords'

already reported on github: MySQL 8.0.11 removed support for old_password · Issue #833 · TryGhost/Ghost-CLI · GitHub

@naz If you try to install ghost from a new Ubuntu 20.04 you will encounter multiple issues. It’s totally reproducible, so you can try it.

@Luis Where exactly are you stuck? Or maybe a list of the issues so far - would make it easier to help. I install/ run on various Debian flavours without issue, and Ubuntu is a derivative.

It was so many weeks ago, so I do not have these error messages. But, as I said, the standard Ubuntu image without any previous modification was being used. So it can be reproduced just trying it :slight_smile:

I just installed the latest Ghost on Ubuntu 20.04. Follow the official installation instructions as if you are running 18.04, and make sure to decline setting up a “ghost” mysql user — that’s the only step that seems to fail. You can manually create your own mysqul user and update config.production.json accordingly, or just do nothing and have ghost continue to use root. If you only have one database then it should be fine, but I’m not an expert so take that with a grain of salt.

The latest release of the CLI (1.15.0) contains initial support for Ubuntu 20 / MySQL 8! As a reminder, these versions aren’t officially supported by Ghost (yet) so there may still be some issues to iron out. If you run into any issues, please create a post (or respond to an existing one) :)

4 Likes

ubuntu - Nginx missing when installing ghost - Super User
can somebody please help me solve this problem?