Updating ghost to the latest version have permission issue

What version of Ghost are you using?

• Ghost 5.1.1

What Node version, database, OS & browser are you using?

• Node version: 14.19.0
  • Database: MySQL Version 5.7.38
  • Browser: Google chrome Version 102.0.5005.63

What errors or information do you see in the console?

• N/A Since the server cannot be started again

Issue Description

• I’ve recently updated my Ghost tool to the latest version from version 4.22.0 to 5.11. However, now I am unable to do anything when logging into the dashboard via web browser. Specifically, I am unable to publish or unpublish any articles nor signing out of the account. The dashboard keeps showing an error message that says that I don’t have the permission to do that certain action.

How was Ghost installed and configured?

• I was using the Symbolic link to link the current version of ghost folder, while keeping the old version in other folder (previously I did not use this method).

What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having?
Steps to reproduce:

1. Before updating ghost to the latest version make a copy of the directory of root ghost
  2. Make a symbolic link to said folder
  3. Update ghost to the latest version with said symbolic link
  4. Access the web and try to do changes (Publish, Unpublish, Sign out)Additional Notes
  • I wonder if keeping the old version of Ghost in another folder is in fact the root cause of the issue? When I tried to delete the Symbolic link and return it to normal the server can’t be started again.

You need to be on MySQL 8 to run Ghost V5. Make sure you meet the prerequisites before performing an upgrade.

• Ghost’s official production stack is now Ubuntu 20, Node 16, and MySQL 8. The big change here is the database layer. We used to support both SQLite and MySQL 5 in production, now we’re all-in on MySQL 8 so we can double down on performance optimizations. Ghost stores a hell of a lot more data than it used to, and this change is really important to keep the architecture stable.