Unable to update Ghost, permission error

• What’s your URL? archermc.net

• What version of Ghost are you using? 4.36.0

• How was Ghost installed and configured? Following the ghost tutorial

• What Node version, database, OS & browser are you using? N/A, Latest node version

• What errors or information do you see in the console? Error: Hastebin: Send and Save Text or Code Snippets for Free | Toptal®

• What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having? N/A

I’m unable to update ghost to 5.0, everytime I type ghost update it sends this error https://www.toptal.com/developers/hastebin/wocomofumi.js The same happens when I try ghost doctor, I’ve tried giving the correct perms using chown

For starters, you need to upgrade to the latest Ghost V4 before upgrading to V5.

Also, please provide more information about your setup, including OS, database etc.

SQLite database, ubuntu 22.04 OS, The ghost setup was done a while ago

From the change log:

• Ghost’s official production stack is now Ubuntu 20, Node 16, and MySQL 8. The big change here is the database layer. We used to support both SQLite and MySQL 5 in production, now we’re all-in on MySQL 8 so we can double down on performance optimizations. Ghost stores a hell of a lot more data than it used to, and this change is really important to keep the architecture stable.

Yeah but would that break the ghost update command? I do have my 8 and node 16… and I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 22 but on ubuntu 20 it was the same issue

1 Like

You should read the release notes. There is no upgrade path for your setup. You need to do a fresh install.

Incidentally, Ubuntu 22 isn’t supported yet, and isn’t recommended for production use until the first point release.

yeah but I can’t even backup my data or import it using ghost backup for a new install, I already have everything setup, how can I do a fresh install and move my website/settings to the new install?

The ghost remove/uninstall command doesn’t work either ;-;

Always have a backup strategy, and the option to roll-back, before upgrading.

I assume your database is intact, so either export this, or reinstall the same version (after copying the existing setup.)