Using Tags for Differential Stripe Members Pricing

I have set up a new Ghost blog with a members area. I have two fixed prices: monthly and annual with a Stripe account to take payments.

However, I have a number of routes to funnel prospective members towards my blog. One of these routes is through an online questionnaire. A ‘reward’ for completing the survey would be to receive 90 days free of my members-only blog.

I have established a product on stripe with the 90 days free.

A zapier integration imports members from this source, only. Each member from the Survey source comes with two ‘tags’ that shows which source and which survey.

Is there a way to apply this pricing structure to just a narrow number of subscribers based on their origin, rather than apply this price to all prospective members?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there!

There’s currently no concept of free trials in our Beta members feature. You definitely can send new members from your surveys into Ghost with labels attached via Zapier, but you won’t be able to put them onto a custom Stripe plan, or offer a free trial automatically.

Right now our Members feature supports a monthly and annual plan as you mentioned - but we are definitely looking at how to expand this in the future :slight_smile:

In the meantime there’s a couple of options which are a bit more manual:

• Use complimentary premium plans for your members who have certain labels to give them full access to all paid content.

• Another idea is to manually adjust someone’s subscription in Stripe. Again this is a bit more manual but it could be a good option for your workflow.

1 Like

As a suggestion, what if the API includes a hook to set a user as a member, skipping the payment? Then that Zapier integration would for instance, be able to just set the membership status manually.

Hey @explore -

You already can use Zapier to import “free” members (members who can see content with an access level of members only). You can import members from just about any other tool in this way using Zapier.

For those members to then be associated with a Stripe plan and upgraded to paid-members within Ghost, they’d either need to subscribe with a credit card, or be put onto a free complimentary plan to bypass the credit card requirement.

We definitely have a few things in mind to expand pricing plans in members to make it more flexible for use cases similar to this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @SamB-R and @explore :wave:
Just wanted to let you know that it’s now possible to add a trial period to Member plans. Check out our guide, Add a free trial, for more info :

Make sure your version of Ghost is up to date. Hope this helps :blush:

1 Like

Great news, thanks!

1 Like