What file is served on ghost start?

Hi - I have upgraded to 2.21.0 from 0.9 - I actually just started from scratch. I’m running into a couple of problems. I think if I can solve the first one, the second one might take of itself.

I am running on an OS X Mojave macMini. With 0.9, I was using a Bitnami stack. Worked fine, but with 2.21 I’ve got this problem. Sql is no problem. Starting up Ghost is no problem (sort of). I am getting a 403 forbidden error whenever I load my URL, though. I’ve tried the ghost config url command. I thought at first that it was a permissions issue, but the Mojave default folder (/Library/webServer/Documents) serves up an “It Works!” index.html file so it doesn’t seem to be an httpd.conf problem. (I made sure I had the syntax was correct for 2.4 vs. 2.2 )

AllowOverride none
Require all granted
"

My ghost installation folder has no files other than a config.development.json file. I have three folders - content, current, and versions, but no kind of index file. I’m not sure it’s supposed to with the node.js stuff - I really know nothing about that part of things.

So I am thinking that apache isn’t finding a file to serve up when the URL is entered. As an aside, localhost:2368 works just fine. As another aside, I can’t run in production mode even on localhost - I’m not what the difference between development and production. Am I right in thinking that production mode would be what you’d use for your “real” site?

Can anyone give me any pointers or anything I could try?
Thanks in advance…

Hi. These are the instructions for local development. How to install Ghost locally on Mac, PC or Linux
They are quite easy to follow. You should be working in 5 minutes. You don’t need Apache to run node. That is third world sh$it. (joking :joy: ). Seriously, you dont need apache for local node theme development. You do have to have node installed first, which is very easy to do. If you do install node, make sure you install a supported version of node. Cause there are many node versions, but right now, Ghost is using 10.x which means that you can install for example version: 10.15.3 (cause all 10.x versions are supported).

A lot of people when using node, install nvm, which is a tool that lets you switch between node versions in the future. Because sometimes you want to work with the latest version, and sometimes you might want to work with a previous one. But that nvm is optional. There are many ways you can install node 10.15.3 one of them is installing first hombrew (since you are using a mac). But again if you do install node using whatever method you choose, make sure you install a supported version.

Node comes with a package manager called NPM which will let you install everything. Just follow the instruction. Google problems you might encounter, but If you need more help, let me know. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. One of the first things I installed was node 10.15.3, though (using home-brew… right). I’m just running the ghost command from the ghost installation folder. As yet another aside, I’m getting a message on startup that config.production.json doesn’t exist so it’s running in development mode. I’m trying to get Ghost “live” & not just in local development mode. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Sounds like you have to run npm install Also make sure you have installed the latest ghost cli

Are you trying to run Ghost in production on your computer? You can do that, but it’s not really necessary. Note that Ghost + Apache is not an officially supported configuration. If you’re really dead set on running Ghost in production mode locally, you can cp config.development.json config.production.json and ghost restart, which should start a ghost server running on localhost:2368 (unless you configured something different) in production.

I guess I’m just not sure what the difference between development and production modes are. What I ultimately want to do is just to be able to have all of this map to my domain name. It seems that’s where my problems are cropping up.

Thanks. I did that at the initial install - just the day before yesterday.

I recommend you to stick to the official documentation for local ghost development. If you need to publish your ghost website with a custom domain, i would recommend using digital ocean. Or just use the official ghost hosting. You can try this link from Digital Ocean to get a $50 dollar credit. DigitalOcean | The Cloud for Builders

Also i think it is possible to use github pages to publish your ghost website for free. Follow these instructions: GitHub - paladini/ghost-on-github-pages: Ghost on Github Pages. Build and deploy Ghost for free in a few minutes.

I think that will work perfectly. In that scenario, I could just set up a static index.html file on my computer to redirect to the github site. I think I have found my solution. My blog is strictly a vanity site to share my music with the world. Not many people are interested. Maybe 75-100 a year. So I don’t really want to spend money on it.

Thanks for the git-hub suggestion. I think that’s going to work out. I’ll let you know how it goes after I get a chance to fiddle with it this weekend.

Yeah. That’s exactly what I needed. The link you gave me did have some great stuff, but I got confused and made some mistakes. His install instructions were a little bit different than the others were. I ended up reinstalling ghost using the “normal” instructions. Once I got some of the mistakes fixed, I just wiped everything out and started over. Reinstalling ghost was super easy. Like you said, homebrew for some packages. Yarn for others.

I was obviously not understanding the difference between production vs development versions. I mistakenly believed that you had to use production to be able to publish the pages to a FQDN. Once I understood that my problem was really just wanting to get ghost up onto my own macMini (because I am too cheap to pay someone to host my dinky site), everything sort of fell into place & I figured out how everything was supposed to be fit together.

Thanks to you, I learned that GitHub will, indeed, host 1GB for you, and I learned how to use GitHub to sync up what I was doing locally with what was on that hub. (That was truly an adventure.) So now that everything seems to working like a charm, I wanted to thank you for helping me. The only thing to do at this point is to wait until one of the big DNS servers picks up the site & it propagates overnight.

Thanks again for your help. It really sent me in the right direction.

Glad to help

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.