What size server do you all use?

Hello @em_div,

It depends on your daily load. I run Ghost on Raspberry Pi 3+ and it’s enough for a little blog without a big audience.
It’s cheap if you want to test in dev environnement or with little audience.

I use V2 from Prémiový virtuálny server s vysokou dostupnosťou | Websupport.sk for personal blog with 4k posts and works very well ;)
2x vCPU, 1GB RAM, 25 GB SSD

For Ghost integrated with a NodeBB forum, a 2GB RAM VPS at Linode is working well.

UPDATE—- I left my VPS at NFP and moved to Vultr. Super fast. I guess it was just their service.

Even the $5/month Vultr plan is way fast enough. Thanks everyone for your feedback and support to get an idea of what I need.

1 Like

What’s the reason behind this and what would stop it from working properly?

Ghost has a number of in-memory caches to avoid constantly making DB roundtrips. If you make a change on one instance then only that instance that will have fired and responded to events to refresh the necessary caches, so you’ve now got different state across the cluster.

There are rough ideas to allow replacing the in-memory caches with a different data stores such as redis that could be used in a clustered scenario to keep all instances in sync. I can’t speak to any timing relating to that work however, it’s just an idea that’s been mentioned so far rather than anything that’s been properly planned.

If it’s something you need maybe open a topic for cluster support in the Ideas/wishlist category?

Thanks for the quick response. Definitely good info to know. I’ll toss something up in the Ideas category.

how about f1-micro on google compute engine (0.60GB of RAM) ?

600MB should be more than enough to run most Ghost blogs, the main problem you will have is yarn using way more than that to install dependencies. If you can add swap or you’re using pre-built images with deps already there then the install side of things should be ok.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.