Why do most (all?) themes truncate posts on the main page?

I’m using ghost to make a blog. I’ve been scouring the internet for a ghost theme that presents the entire body of each blog post in a reverse-chronological list on the front page of the site. Like blogs like daringfireball.net or https://kottke.org.

This was the way most blogs were designed for many years, and I’m surprised that I can’t find a ghost theme anywhere that does this, let alone several to choose which I like the style most. They all provide a list of posts, with a variation of a “read more” button to take you to a new page with the full post.

Is this somehow a technical limitation of the ghost theme engine? I’m surprised I can’t find a single one, let alone several, that I could decide which I liked best.

Do I need to hire a designer to create a theme like this, or am I missing something?

Off the top of my head I don’t know of any themes that allow for this out of the box, so yes you’d have to have a theme customised yourself.

Here’s one example of what I presume you’re after, utilising Ghost:

For “index” pages (pages that are a list of posts), Ghost provides the theme with both an excerpt and the full post. Most themes include the excerpt since that’s what a lot of people want - with the new “theme settings” feature, it’s possible themes might support choosing letting you choose in the future :thinking:

If you’re willing to modify your theme, it’s a “relatively simple” change - you need to change {{excerpt}} to {{content}} for the templates you want to update.

Here’s where you would change it for Casper:

Yep. That’s what I was thinking. I’ve been to that site before and didn’t realize it was ghost! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. Making this change in Casper helps me understand how I might be able to adjust other themes to do the same. Thanks!

1 Like

A) Speaking of truncating…while you can set the number of words to something like: excerpt words=“20” that’s often gonna end in a random part of the sentence which looks kinda janky. Are there any plans (or existing re-usable code) to have it truncate (1) always at the end of a sentence after “20” words (2) and, to optionally add a link that says “Continue reading” kind of like how it’s done on https://om.co

Or, is this something I need to custom author in JS? Seems like many folks would want the text to truncate nicely.

B) Regarding pagination…I see a lot of themes use “Load more” vs page number (like the Coding Horror example.) Is that a simple tweak? Admittedly, haven’t looked into it.

You can control the exact excerpt by filling it in - excerpt is an option in the right menu, right below tags.

1 Like

Well golly, it’s a bit of extra work but I can handle that. Thank you!

1 Like

I think it’s worth it! Maybe I need a better copy editor, but I don’t always want my first sentence as my excerpt, so it’s nice to have the control.

The 300 character limit is a little annoying…