Ability to crop featured image?

I’ve been digging through the documentation and GitHub issues and can’t seem to figure out if this is possible or not. Basically, I’m just using Ghost as the backend to power the blog on my website and using the API to pull all of the data out. I’ve got a hero image that is 1920x680 in the post and the thumbnail image on the blog homepage is 890x595. Since they are different aspect ratios, I need to crop the featured image, but all I can find in the documentation is how to specify the width in the Image_sizes config. Is there some way to accomplish this, even if it requires some sort of custom setup?

You might not actually need to crop the image, you could modify it’s presentation using CSS. Have you used the object-fit property before? Pretty handy way to resize images without distorting them:

1 Like

Ah, good call! That is indeed a much simpler solution. Thanks!

1 Like

It would be great to have a crop and scale tool for the placed images in posts/gallery. Yes you can do it with code but ideally we need it in the gui :slight_smile:

I would say to the developers of Ghost take a look at Canva. I’m not saying it’s perfect or anything but being able to edit/adjust and crop images on the web is ideal, especially for a platform aimed at publishing content like ghost. It’s really convenient when you upload an image and realise it needs a bit of adjustment to fit either in adjusting colours or cropping etc, to not have to go back and edit it offline and then reupload, just for basic editing.

Although I know it must be hard and costly to code this into the platform :slight_smile:

1 Like