Anyone else having problems with newsletter analytics?

On my site, the newsletter open rates (and, I assume, the click rates as well) are very unreliable. Some of them show zero opens, which I know is bogus. This morning, one showed a 0% open rate with a 5% click rate.

I have spoken with my hosting company, and they say it is a Ghost problem, and not something they can help with.

Thoughts?

Sometimes the analytics connection can stall out. The fix is to restart Ghost. Doing it sooner than later is recommended to preserve as much email analytics as possible.

Well, since I don’t have access to the server, I can’t do that myself. The hosting company doesn’t mind restarting my Ghost instance, but they (and I) get tired of doing it on a regular basis. Any thoughts on ways to keep this from happening?

It’s not something that should happen on a regular basis. It could be an issue with the server setup/config, but it’s difficult to say without more information.

On Ghost’s side, we’re actively investigating the cause and will include a fix in an upcoming release.

1 Like

Hi! I’ve recently starting having problems with this as well. I have only like 7 members, and my latest posts have only been opened by 3 of them according to the analytics. I’ve spoken to a few of my friends who are members, and they’ve said that they opened the newsletter, but it still says only 3 opened. This is clearly a bug.

I put myself in there, just for debugging purposes, and when I read the newsletter it took a long time (comparing what it usually does) until my reading was noted. Please fix this again. I just restarded ghost again, but I agree with others that I don’t want to restart ghost to often if I don’t have to.

This is still happening, btw. I posted a new newsletter today, I have confirmed with several friends that they’ve read the newsletter. One posted a comment and I myself have read it, twice! I have made sure to “collect” the right analytics in settings/analytics but this is clearly a bug.

I’ve updated to the latest version of Ghost and also restarted, but it does not help. This is how my stats look at the moment:

Please fix.

What do your analytics say on Mailgun’s side? If you restart Ghost, do the analytics update to be accurate?

Mailgun says no emails have been opened, and restarting ghost does not help, but yeah, I’ve confirmed with friends who’s signed up and they have read it.

This sounds like an issue with Mailgun, as Ghost will rely on it for those open-count analytics. Additionally, email services/clients may be set up to block open tracking, which could impact those analytics. See this doc for troubleshooting steps:

Yes! It actually was. I saw when I checked some more inside Mailgun that the tracking was off. Also I had removed an unknown CNAME record, because I did not remember where it was from, and it must have been from there. I shall fix it now. Thank you.

1 Like