Can anyone design a exactly same Gatsby starter as casper?

I’m getting started with Ghost since 2015.it looks awesome! i like it. thank you the team.

i know Ghost+Gatsby+Netlify is more powerful. and i had try the combination. the speed is very fast.

but, i think the ghost official Gastsby starter is not beautiful compare with casper, and even a personal casper starter also not good.

can anyone do a exactly the same starter as casper ?

1 Like

I’m wondering the same thing as well - the home page is different (especially the publication image), so are the cards, and the header inside posts are completely different as well…

I’ve been digging thru gatsby starter and casper github but I don’t know where to get started…

Hi all! Thanks for using Ghost and taking an interest in our Gatsby starter :rainbow:

The Gatsby Starter we’ve made is designed to be exactly that, a starter for people wanting to build their own Gatsby site with Ghost as a headless CMS. We didn’t want it to match Casper exactly as many people will clone this Starter and begin to style it to their own needs.

That doesn’t mean to say you can’t copy the design of Casper into a Gatsby theme of your own! Looks like there’s a couple of people that have already done just that:

1 Like

FYI, these projects use the Casper theme but don’t actually integrate to Ghost. They just use static files (as mentioned here), so you’ll have to handle Ghost integration yourself, at least for now.

I’m going to do that myself, so if enough people are interested maybe I can share the code.

3 Likes

I’m on my way to adapting some of the design from Gatsby myself. It’s not too hard, but it does take some hours to convert and optimize everything so that it looks nice.

1 Like

thank you for your hard work, l like gatsby and casper, look forward to your project.

1 Like

I am interested if you are still willing to share.

Ohh…I actually abandoned that project since it was getting too
complicated. But I’m going to give it another shot now using
Gridsome (and this
Casper starter
) since I find it easier to understand. I’ll
be sure to upload the changes if it works out!

ok @txtidea @slowmoe420…I’ve finally got a usable version running! This is not Gatsby, but it’s built with Gridsome which runs on similar principles. You can see it at this repo, along with a demo here.

The project based on the Gridsome Starter Casper project by mittalyashu, and updated to add the Ghost connections.

Note that the “demo” is actually planned to be a live site for Snipette so it’s eventually diverge from vanilla Casper. I hope to leave a working branch though, or fork the project for others to use. Feedback is welcome!

Hi, thanks for sharing.
I personally prefer Gatsby.
What are the reasons that lead you to use Gridsome?

Well, I’m more comfortable with Gridsome to start with (I’ve never used React, but have experimented a bit with Vue). Since it’s more intuitive to me, that’s one less thing to spend time figuring out.

And the Ghost starter is easier to understand in the Gridsome tutorial, since it tells you what to do to set things up rather than just saying “install the starter”. I can actually apply the tutorial to any template, not just to the official starter as is the case with Gatsby.

So I guess it’s the lower (in my perspective) thresholds that made me switch.

Is someone still working on this?

@Ghost.org: Is this something that you would consider maintaining, if initiated by the community?

Check this comment out :slight_smile:

Yes, I totally understand that the Gatsby starter is just a starter and not intended to replicate the original Casper theme.

I’m talking about a new project, let’s call it gatsby-ghost-casper-v3 (GGC3) for all people who want a static site generator of the Ghost default configuration.

As this thread is quite old, the questions are:

1. Is there still strong interest in such a (new) project from the people reading this thread?
  2. Has someone already succeeded in doing so?
  3. Is the Ghost team willing to support this by maintaining it after initial development by the community?

I have no problem if the answer is “no” to either of the questions.

Please vote up or down, to indicate if you are interested in GGC3!

2 Likes

I would LOVE to see an official/actively maintained Gatsby port of Casper.

Right now, it’s on future/“someday maybe” development project list; I just have other, more pressing projects. Hopefully someone else can take this up.

I would start to develop it, if it gets “official” support by the Ghost Team. Right now I get the feeling that it does not fit into their strategy.

Well, how about this, I’ll make this deal with you since it’s on my to-do list anyway:

If you want to to take lead on the project, I’ll shift some stuff around and maintain/develop it with you, come hell or high water. That way you won’t have to fly solo with it and, if Ghost does eventually commit, great; if not, that’s okay too, I’ll just maintain it.

You in?

-TorqueWrench

Deal!

Write me a short private message to this Contact Form to discuss further details!

Gatsby is also part of my to-do-list
I’m just waiting for more integration with the members section, to officially move to Gatsby.

Sent. I think a Confluence instance may be the best way to coordinate (that and I’ve always wanted to try it). I’m standing up a self-hosted instance of it now; should be up by tonight/tomorrow.

Looking forward to working with you,
TorqueWrench

1 Like