Can Ghost's mail functionality pass HELO or EHLO command

Here’s what GSuite configuration page says about SMTP server configuration:

We recommend that you configure your mail server to present a unique identifier (such as your domain name or the name of your mail server) in the HELO or EHLO command in the SMTP relay connections your server makes to Google. Avoid using generic names such as “localhost” or “smtp-relay.gmail.com,” which can occasionally result in issues with DoS limits.

Is there any way to set this in Ghost’s “mail” section of config.production.json?

Gmail’s SMTP isn’t really supported because they put up a lot of hoops to jump through to get it working.

I think you’d be better off configuring a service that’s designed for sending transactional email such as Mailgun or Sendgrid (we recommend Mailgun in our mail config docs). They’re generally free for the number of e-mails that Ghost would be sending because it only sends welcome, invite, and forgotten password e-mails for staff users.

I see, thanks. So the answer to the question about HELO or EHLO command is no, correct?

Also, I think it be great to have support for GSuite, because many companies already have accounts there, so it makes sense to send emails from one of these accounts.

Also, mailgun seems to have changed it’s policy, this is what the doc says:

We highly recommend using Mailgun which allows up to 10,000 emails per month for free.

But on Mailgun’s page they say:

Pay As You Go
First 10k emails free
First 100 validations free

You can technically use gSuite if you want, but as you can see from their docs, it’s not designed for transactional email (as Kevin mentioned). The customized HELO command is only a suggestion from them, so you should be fine if you choose to go this route.

The pay-as-you-go pricing is per month:

1 Like

Thanks, @vikaspotluri123! I’ll try mailgun then :slight_smile: