Casper floating-header is gone. How to replace the functionality of FB/twitter share

Hey,

I recently updated my ghost blog from 2.16 to 3.18. I have a custom theme that is based on casper and I updated it with casper’s latest changes. I noticed that partials/floating-header.hbs has been removed on October 21 2019, Here’s the git commit: V3 (#626) · TryGhost/Casper@b51dd8c · GitHub

The floating panel used to have share links for twitter and facebook, as you scroll the blog post. The current casper version no longer has that, at least in my default setup? Have I messed up something in the migration, or is it the case that this functionaliyt has been removed and if I want it, I have to restore it myself?

Cheers,

Nick

Hey @XapaJIaMnu :wave:

The Casper theme has been updated and no longer contains sharing options. However that doesn’t mean you can’t implement the same feature yourself! You might find this CodePen example useful, it shows how to add an assortment of sharing links without using JavaScript or embedding custom buttons on your site:

Hope this helps :blush:

1 Like

Thank you @DavidDarnes,

I think this will solve my problem. I might try to backport the solution from earlier version of casper. I was mostly wondering if I misconfigured it, so that I don’t end up duplicating the functionality.

Cheers,

Nick

1 Like

How can I implement the code above (How To)? Your help is highly appreciated.

You can also use websites such as Addthis or AddToAny (which is open source) if you want to create floating or inline share buttons on your posts. Both are free and they both offer lots of customisations in relation to which sites you’d like your content shared to. I like AddToAny personally.

Very easy implementation with Ghost. Just copy the code into a HTML box on your post and it’ll show up. Where you put the HTML box only matters in relation to the inline share buttons, if it’s a floating share you can put it anywhere. Hope that helps.