Collapse Toggle for Email/Newsletter

Hi! I’m using the content Toggle to collapse my podcast transcripts (example on the site I’m currently migrating: Productivity Tips for Entrepreneurs: Do Apps Work? · Women Conquer Business (under “subscribe to the show” you’ll see a transcript button that, when collapsed shows the episode transcript).

In my testing, when I email the new episode out, I noticed that the Toggle is expanded, which makes the message incredibly long. Is there a way to collapse the Toggle for the newsletter/email?

Thanks,
Jen

1 Like

I have this same problem, and haven’t found a real solution.

My current workaround is send out the episode email with a direct link to the post (e.g. “Read the transcript at Opsy.work.”) and then I edit the post to add the transcript toggle after the fact.

This is obviously not ideal because it means I can’t schedule the posts, but I’d rather manually send and edit than include the long, uncollapsed transcript.

Hopefully, someone else will have a better workaround…

Thanks! I read elsewhere that the send/then edit was the current workaround. It’s funny because I guess I’d assumed (incorrectly) that the toggle would be collapsed upon sending. I’d love to see your website if you have a link to share. It sounds like you’re a podcaster too. Seems like a good way to get some ideas. Thanks again for your reply! Jen

Yeah, for sure! Hopefully, we’ll get a setting to auto-collapse in emails (or something) at some point.

My Ghost site is Opsy.work and here’s a recent ep of the podcast with my show notes and everything. Always cool to see more podcasters on Ghost. It’s such a great platform for it imo.

Very cool. I just followed you on Twitter. I like your site and the episode format is similar to what I’ll do once my info is migrated from WP. I agree it’s great for podcasters and creators. I think that once there are child themes (or something similar) and a couple of wrinkles like closed toggles fixed it will be a great platform for less technical people. I’m really enjoying the creator experience tho.

@jmac @carolinesyrup this is a limitation of email in general. Ghost uses a battle-tested email template to deliver your newsletters so they look great across many clients and devices.

If you include a toggle card in a newsletter then it is delivered with some extra styling, but there is no interactivity/click within an email, so the content is shown expanded.

2 Likes

Totally understand that, @Kym! It would just be cool if there was a less manual workaround, e.g. toggles displayed as a link in an email, etc.

1 Like

I totally understand and I’ll do a workaround to send it and then add the stranscript.

Super excited. Finally out and live. Here’s my site Women Conquer Business. And here’s an example of a podcast episode page with the transcript toggle. I’m really enjoying my Ghost experience. First-class all the way.

I have this same problem, and haven’t found a real solution.

My current workaround is send out the episode email with a direct link to the post (e.g. “Read the transcript at Opsy.work.”)

and then I edit the post to add the transcript toggle after the fact.

This is obviously not ideal because it means I can’t schedule the posts,

but I’d rather manually send and edit than include the long, uncollapsed transcript.

Hopefully, someone else will have a better workaround…

1 Like