Debian compatibility

Hi, I’m attempting to install Ghost in a Debian GNU/Linux 9.13 (stretch) – yes, I know it’s not supported. There are errors with MariaDB.

My MariaDB version is 10.1.

I posted this originally on github but got sent here: Debian compatibility · Issue #13939 · TryGhost/Ghost · GitHub

Steps to Reproduce

Setup run fine. Except the part where a new mysql user needed to be create for Ghost but the documentation assumes Ghost will run as root in mysql.

So a few extra steps were involved:
MariaDB [(none)]> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON [db_name]_prod.* TO '[username]'@localhost identified by '[password]';

Then after setup I got this message:

Message: Ghost was able to start, but errored during boot with: Field length of `customer_id` in `members_stripe_customers` is too long!
Help: Read more here: https://github.com/TryGhost/knex-migrator/issues/51

I attempted the steps in TryGhost/knex-migrator#51 (comment) but they result in MariaDB not working anymore, like:

# mysql -v
mysql: unknown variable 'innodb_file_per_table=ON'

So I tried updating MariaDB, but that also proved complicated.

Ghost Version

Node.js Version

How did you install Ghost?

Using npm on Debian GNU/Linux 9.13 (stretch)

Database type

Other

Browser & OS version

Debian GNU/Linux 9.13 (stretch)

Relevant log / error output

[2022-01-08 19:57:53] WARN Your site is now offline [2022-01-08 19:57:53] WARN Ghost was running for a few seconds /usr/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/lib/process-manager.js:46 throw error; ^ { message: ‘Ghost was able to start, but errored during boot with: Field length of customer_id i n members_stripe_customers is too long!’ } ghost_gorg-faras-me.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE: Stopped Ghost systemd service for blog: gorg-faras-me.: ghost_gorg-faras-me.service: Unit entered failed state. ghost_gorg-faras-me.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

Does your config file have this? Note the mysqld (d for daemon) in the section

[mysqld]
innodb_file_per_table=ON
innodb_file_format=Barracuda
innodb_large_prefix=ON