Does anybody use FastComet?

Does anybody use FastComet for any of their installations?

I recently moved two of my websites to FastComet, on the advice of @DenverGeeks. I had been using DigitalOcean droplets, but was getting tired of security updates. Their tech support was very responsive and responsible. There were a few issues that arose, and they were quickly elevated to a more senior person who fixed them right away. I was impressed enough to increase my commitment from one year to two.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. Best of luck on your ventures.

What sort of traffic are you able to handle, if you don’t mind my asking?

Thanks, Kairos. Unfortunately my sites aren’t exactly “popular” so I can’t give any insight into higher traffic responses. I have the middle tier, but for just a little bit more monthly they do have a 3rd tier with more CPUs and fewer users, which one can switch to at any point. I’d be interested it how it goes if you end up with FC. Good luck!

1 Like

I have had good experiences with FC as well. You can read more about my experience here . . .

https://ghost-o-matic.com/my-ghost-dev-tools/

1 Like

I’ll definitely let you know. Thanks for the tips.

About to read it, thanks denvergeeks

I’ve actually read your article before - good stuff. Thanks again.

I am using fastcomet. I had an issue because I discovered the standard installation of ghost only runs in development mode. I think this is a problem regarding security and performance. I needed a couple of tries to convince fc support to setup a proper production installation with mysql. In the end it worked out. Unfortunately it’s not something I can do on my own due to server restrictions. As I have only very limited experience in backend fiddling I do prefer fc over something like digital ocean because of their support. Not sure if it is the best solution performance wise, though.

Hey @uxerik ( :heavy_heart_exclamation: your username, btw! ) – I use FC for some of my Ghost sites (on both their shared hosting as well as a VPS).

Could you please elaborate on why you think running in development mode is a problem, both for security and performance?

And, what was your issue?

Thanks @denvergeeks :) I can try to explain but please be aware that I am not a developer but I can share what I know:

• Official statement from Ghost on their website: “All public Ghost publications run in production mode, while development mode can be used to test or build on top of Ghost locally.” (Link)
  • Production database runs on Mysql and development database on sqlite (I assume that the mysql setup is more secure)
  • I saw in improved Google Lighthouse performance boost after switching to production. It’s now 85 and was around 75 on development
  • Responsive images sizes don’t work on development mode as far as I know (means that an image on mobile devices is show at a lower resolution to optimise file size and load speed)

I’m using FatComet and my site breaks every day (in the exact moment somebody tries to access it) with the 503 error and has to be restarted manually which means a lot of downtime.
How can I check if they are running development mode? Could it be the reason?

If you go to /ghost/#/about you can check what’s next to “Environment”. It’s saying either development or production. I never had lots of 503s in development mode. I’d check with FastComet support as it sounds very unstable.

1 Like

Not going to say I’m surprised at the comments in this thread. 503? Development mode? Images served over HTTP instead of HTTPS? Can’t update ghost? Can’t admin properly without staff intervention cause it’s all a hack job? Let me guess…fastcomet? Seriously.

Speaking from experience too, I followed your advice as a new ghost user denvergeeks and fastcomet completely destoyed my ghost site. Ended up learning the whole thing from scratch, how to run locally, in a VPS…shared hosting targeted at wordpress is not the place to be putting ghost, at best it’s a hack job solution that should not be recommended as much as it has here on ghost forums.