Email unsubscribe link returns 'Failed to unsubscribe member' and I'm not sure why

• What’s your URL? tacen.com
  • What version of Ghost are you using? 3.40.5

And

• How was Ghost installed and configured? Unknown - see details

• What Node version, database, OS & browser are you using?
    Node: 12.20.1
    Database: MySQL
    Browser: FIrefox 88.0

• What errors or information do you see in the console? - Unsure - see details

• What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having? - That’s why I’m here.

Background:
I am new to this organization, and ghost. I didn’t build these servers, but I’m the guy taking a look at the problem who gets to fix it.

Details:
Users, on getting an email and clicking unsubscribe, receive an error message 'Failed to unsubscribe member ’

At around the same time we have errors in the log (following)

Can this private key be referring to a mailgun key in some way?
Any details, information, or etc you can provide would be extremely helpful.

Error: Invalid private key
at IncomingMessage. (/var/www/tacen.com/versions/3.40.5/node_modules/mailgun-js/lib/request.js:327:17)
at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:326:22)
at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1241:12)
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:84:21)

[2021-05-13 22:26:10] INFO Capturing error for worker during execution of job: email-analytics-fetch-latest
[2021-05-13 22:26:10] ERROR

MESSAGE: Worker for job “email-analytics-fetch-latest” exited with code 1

Error: Worker for job “email-analytics-fetch-latest” exited with code 1
at Worker. (/var/www/tacen.com/versions/3.40.5/node_modules/bree/lib/index.js:347:40)
at Worker.emit (events.js:314:20)
at Worker.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12)
at Worker.[kOnExit] (internal/worker.js:231:10)
at Worker..onexit (internal/worker.js:165:20)

For the analytics related error, In the site’s Mailgun config make sure the supplied key is the private API key not a sending key.

The error doesn’t relate to an unsubscribe request so I’m not sure what’s happening there. Does the mailgun account have forced click tracking turned on? That has been known to break links and should not be enabled.

Click tracking is not turned on. But.

In a little-noticed corner of the mailgun admin panel - which is new to me as well - I found under tracking records the legend

'The CNAME record is necessary for tracking opens, clicks and unsubscribes and the under current value the words ‘NONE FOUND’.

So I’m going to go with that being the issue. Time to break out my DNS skills.

Thanks,

BDunbar