Links in mail from Mailgun return ErrorPage

• What’s your URL? ntotao.com

• What version of Ghost are you using? latest: Version 4.1.0

• How was Ghost installed and configured? Self-Hosted. Followed the ghost docs

• What Node version, database, OS & browser are you using? Node 14.16.0, mysql, win10, Brave Browser

• What errors or information do you see in the console? Redirect link lead to a ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

• What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having?
    After subscribing, clicking the confirm subscription link from the mail will lead to an error page, while trying to redirect from email.ntotao.com (setup by mailgun). The user is added successfully but the redirect to the thenk-you-page is not happening.

My guess is there is some problem in communication with mailgun, because email.ntotao.com should redirect to eu.mailgun.org, and at some point mailgun is not redirecting to my website.

Any help?
I’ve also found this useful comment from @iBotPeaches

He reported a similar behavior when subscribers click on links in the mail.

Link tracking in Mailgun likely shouldn’t be enabled, it breaks sign-in links.

If you do enable it, make sure you’ve followed Mailgun’s full setup for CNAME records and their troubleshooting guide https://help.mailgun.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011692334–Click-Tracking-Links-Won-t-Resolve

1 Like

Thanks for your fast answer!
I’ve actually just tried to disable it in the Domain Settings of Mailgun
Click tracking OFF
Unsubscribes OFF
It’s working!

question: can I leave Open Tracking ON or you suggest to turn it off too to avoid future interferences?

Yeah sorry for confusion @ntotao. I had things enabled and wondered why things weren’t working so wrote that blog - turns out Ghost doesn’t even track clicks - only opens. So you only need Open Tracking if you want to see the percentage of viewers that open email.

1 Like

Ghost will automatically turn it on/off for bulk emails based on the open tracking setting in your Ghost admin area. Leaving it on account-wide is up to you if you want to track opens within Mailgun for transactional email or other non-Ghost related usage.