Error 500 when saving changes to a post (and most other changes in ghost admin)

• What’s your URL? www.ubmc.co.uk

• What version of Ghost are you using? Latest ghost version and CLI version as of this morning

• How was Ghost installed and configured? Has been working perfectly for around 12 months on a digital ocean droplet. We have a custom theme running which can be found here: GitHub - tomhmoses/UBMC-Casper: Custom theme for the UBMC website

• What Node version, database, OS & browser are you using? node version 10.19.0. Issue occurs on any OS on any browser.

• What errors or information do you see in the console? When running ghost log from the terminal we normally see no errors occuring even though the issue will be happening on our screens (only the normal info messages show). After a while of testing we will start getting errors in the terminal saying multiple people are editing this post, but the same 500 error screen in the browser for the blogger. In the chrome console we see this error:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'targetName' of undefined
          at error (vendor.min-b50d677c001301c7dceff8443c6f1dd5.js:formatted:15847)
          at e.A (vendor.min-b50d677c001301c7dceff8443c6f1dd5.js:formatted:15899)
          at s.triggerEvent (vendor.min-b50d677c001301c7dceff8443c6f1dd5.js:formatted:15431)
          at s.trigger (vendor.min-b50d677c001301c7dceff8443c6f1dd5.js:formatted:31672)
          at e.send (vendor.min-b50d677c001301c7dceff8443c6f1dd5.js:formatted:15596)
          at e.send (vendor.min-b50d677c001301c7dceff8443c6f1dd5.js:formatted:16663)
          at e.save (task) (ghost.min-dff68da9a8ffbb4fff7171f51eba3bb8.js:980)
          at Generator.throw (<anonymous>)
          at e._resumeGenerator (vendor.min-b50d677c001301c7dceff8443c6f1dd5.js:formatted:72487)
          at e._handleResolvedContinueValue (vendor.min-b50d677c001301c7dceff8443c6f1dd5.js:formatted:72548)

• What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having?
    When logged in to Ghost Admin making most changes results in being redirected to the 500 error ‘cactus’ screen. This includes making any changes to a blog post, when the draft is automatically saved you are redirected (but changes are saved). Same for publishing, unpublishing. When deleting a blog post you are given error: There was a problem on the server, please try again. , but the post is actually deleted.

We are unable to change the theme too, so not sure if that could be the culprit. Is there any way to change back to the default theme from the console?

Feel free to ask any more questions as I have some time to help debug this.

Many thanks,

Tom

Hi tom,

Can you paste here whats ghost doctor says ?

& Have you tried updating the node version?

Regards,
Salehin Khan
CEO, Inoryum Ltd

Hi Salehin,

Ghost Doctor output is:

ghost-mgr@ghost-1:/var/www/ghost$ ghost doctor
✔ Checking system Node.js version
✔ Checking logged in user
✔ Ensuring user is not logged in as ghost user
✔ Checking if logged in user is directory owner
✔ Checking current folder permissions
✔ Checking operating system compatibility
✔ Checking for a MySQL installation
+ sudo systemctl is-active ghost_www-ubmc-co-uk
Instance is currently running
ℹ Validating config [skipped]
✔ Checking folder permissions
✔ Checking file permissions
✔ Checking content folder ownership
✔ Checking memory availability
✔ Checking binary dependencies

I’ve just updated node to v12.18.3 as per Supported node versions for self-hosted installs of Ghost but still seeing the same issues, unfortunately.

Tom

Seems files & folder permissions are okay… Did you try restart ghost after updating node?

Are u using Ubuntu 18.04 or 16.04?

Hi, sorry for the late reply
Using 18.04.2 and have tried restarting but still getting the error message

Thanks, Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I think its not an issue with ghost but with the OS… Something went bad.

To check that you can try to deploy the current data on a new ghost instance… & check the issue is already there on not on new instance…

Or i can help you with investigating your Servers issue, to do that i will need access or your server via SSH.

If you are comfortable sharing your server info Please DM me I will be happy to help you.

Thanks