Error Ghost invalid version: null

After updating node to version 14.16.1 and ghost-cli to 1.17.0

Every ghost command like ghost -v, ghost ls, ghost update is giving this same error

Debug Information:
    Node Version: v14.16.1
    Ghost Version: 4.3.3
    Ghost-CLI Version: 1.17.0
    Environment: production
    Command: 'ghost update --force'
An error occurred.

Stack: TypeError: Invalid Version: null
    at new SemVer (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/semver/classes/semver.js:19:13)
    at compare (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/semver/functions/compare.js:3:3)
    at Object.lt (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/semver/functions/lt.js:2:29)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/lib/utils/deprecation-checks.js:22:96
    at Array.some (<anonymous>)
    at deprecationChecks (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/lib/utils/deprecation-checks.js:22:72)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:93:5)

How can I solve this?

1 Like

Hmmm it seems like one of your instances has no version info associated with it.

Can you downgrade ghost-cli by doing npm install -g ghost-cli@1.16.3, then run ghost ls and see if the table is missing β€œversion” anywhere.

Curious what caused this, we will also look to ship a fix.

Thanks @Hannah for your reply.
I have already downgraded ghost-cli.

yes I have 2 ghost instances installed and missing version information.
Those two instances are not running at the moment and both have Ghost v2. If this information helps.

BTW, I forgot to mention one thing In latest ghost-cli if I was use command with sudo then the error was not showing. The output was corrct version of CLI for ghost -v command but other command was not working with sudo. I think it is expected by the CLI design.

@GBJsolution Would you mind updating to Ghost-CLI 1.17.1 to see if you still experience issues? That version should contain a fix for the issue you ran into.

Yes! the problem is solved.
Ghost CLI v1.17.1 does not show the error anymore.
Thanks to entire Ghost team specially Hannah and Austin for such fast response and quick fix. Lots of love :heart:

3 Likes

Hi there, I’m with the same problem here:

ghost -v

Love open source? We’re hiring JavaScript Engineers to work on Ghost full-time.
https://careers.ghost.org

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚Warning: MySQL 8 will be the required database in the next major release of Ghost.β”‚
β”‚     Make sure your database is up to date to ensure forwards compatibility.      β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜

Ghost-CLI version: 1.23.1
Ghost version: 5.4.1 (at /var/www/ghost)

The logfile has the follows:

Debug Information:
    Node Version: v16.17.0
    Ghost Version: 5.4.1
    Ghost-CLI Version: 1.23.1
    Command: 'ghost update'
An error occurred.

at new SemVer (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/semver/classes/semver.js:19:13)
    at compare (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/semver/functions/compare.js:3:3)
    at Object.lt (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/semver/functions/lt.js:2:29)
    at UpdateCommand.run (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/lib/commands/update.js:29:20)
    at Function._run (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/lib/command.js:197:35)

And I tried the CLI version you suggested plus the updated one.

I’m having the same issue on Ubuntu. Trying to update from 5.12.2 to the latest and getting β€˜Invalid Version: null.’

Debug Information:
Node Version: v16.16.0
Ghost Version: 5.12.2
Ghost-CLI Version: 1.23.1
Command: β€˜ghost update’

I solved removing and cloning the repo again.

That seems to be a problem with dependancies, node and that kind of stuff.

Sorry for bringing this topic back up but I’m seeing the same problem.

I have a blog set up on DigitalOcean, using their automatic Ghost set up and I’m seeing this exact same issue. I tried different things (reinstalling ghost-cli, updating packages, etc) but nothing seems to work.

I’m using Ghost 5.32.0

Ghost-CLI version: 1.24.0
Ghost version: 5.32.0 (at /var/www/ghost)

and this is what the log shows

ghost-mgr@ghost:/var/www/ghost$ cat /home/ghost-mgr/.ghost/logs/ghost-cli-debug-2023-01-28T23_32_57_443Z.log
Debug Information:
    Node Version: v16.17.0
    Ghost Version: 5.32.0
    Ghost-CLI Version: 1.24.0
    Command: 'ghost update'
An error occurred.

at new SemVer (/usr/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/semver/classes/semver.js:19:13)
    at compare (/usr/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/semver/functions/compare.js:3:3)
    at Object.lt (/usr/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/semver/functions/lt.js:2:29)
    at UpdateCommand.run (/usr/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/lib/commands/update.js:29:20)
    at Function._run (/usr/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/lib/command.js:197:35)

Restart Ghost or Reboot the droplet also didn’t help

Did you have any luck with this. Got the same problem and tried SO many things to fix this, but no luck.

1 Like

Did anyone ever solve this? I am encountering a similar problem and have tried so many things.