Gallery captions (Closed)

Did my first post today using an image gallery. Imported the images, then looked and looked for a way to add captions to the individual images.

Is there not a way to do that? And to add ALT text to individual images?

I don’t want to return to doing image galleries using tables, but it’s beginning to look like that is the only solution.

Thoughts?

I don’t think you can add individual captions for gallery images, just for the whole gallery.
But you can add alt tags for the images, you can drag out images from a gallery and you can define the alt tag, then drag it back into the gallery.

1 Like

I’m using the single caption field for gallery images too, labelling (L) and (R) when displaying images side by side. (L), (C) and (R) for 3 etc.

@brightthemes has a good idea, I wish I’d thought of that earlier.

I suspected that the lack of captions was how it actually worked. I think that is a real problem for using the gallery block. Putting all the captions for 9 images in one text field doesn’t seem workable to me, if the captions have more than a few words. (Many of our pictures are of protests and rallies, and need context to make sense.)

I guess I’ll try using tables, or some heavy lifting via HTML and inline CSS.

1 Like

I agree with you. I think the gallery card is one thing that could really use some improvement. But this discussion has been had a few times, and as I’ve said before, I’m not the one doing the coding, so I have no right to complain :slightly_smiling_face:

Have you thought about using another responsive javascript image gallery option like PhotoSwipe (for example - I haven’t used this one in particular). There are lots of options though, which is I guess a pretty good reason for the Ghost team not to focus their finite resources on creating the perfect image gallery solution.