Gallery captions (Closed)

Did my first post today using an image gallery. Imported the images, then looked and looked for a way to add captions to the individual images.

Is there not a way to do that? And to add ALT text to individual images?

I don’t want to return to doing image galleries using tables, but it’s beginning to look like that is the only solution.

Thoughts?

I don’t think you can add individual captions for gallery images, just for the whole gallery.
But you can add alt tags for the images, you can drag out images from a gallery and you can define the alt tag, then drag it back into the gallery.

I’m using the single caption field for gallery images too, labelling (L) and (R) when displaying images side by side. (L), (C) and (R) for 3 etc.

@bironthemes has a good idea, I wish I’d thought of that earlier.

I suspected that the lack of captions was how it actually worked. I think that is a real problem for using the gallery block. Putting all the captions for 9 images in one text field doesn’t seem workable to me, if the captions have more than a few words. (Many of our pictures are of protests and rallies, and need context to make sense.)

I guess I’ll try using tables, or some heavy lifting via HTML and inline CSS.

1 Like

I agree with you. I think the gallery card is one thing that could really use some improvement. But this discussion has been had a few times, and as I’ve said before, I’m not the one doing the coding, so I have no right to complain :slightly_smiling_face:

Have you thought about using another responsive javascript image gallery option like PhotoSwipe (for example - I haven’t used this one in particular). There are lots of options though, which is I guess a pretty good reason for the Ghost team not to focus their finite resources on creating the perfect image gallery solution.