Ghost Editor disregards Tabs & 4 spaces

I want to paste a text from Notepad into the Ghost Editor.
My text in Notepad is formated like this:

text text text text text text 

But when I paste it into Ghost Editor and then publish the Post, the text in the post is always formatted like this:

How do I preserve the original tabs (or spaces) in Ghost Editor?

I tried various combinations - replacing tabs with 2 or 4 spaces, copying text from Notepad++ instead of Notepad, etc.

I’m using Attila theme if that matters.

Spaces in HTML are largely ignored so the editor acts as expected in the context that’s it’s designed for (the web) to avoid unexpected differences between what you see in the editor and what gets published.

If you want to indent the first line of your paragraphs for your front-end display you can implement that in your theme or via code injection. The CSS property you’ll likely want is text-indent.

Since the Ghost Editor strips the leading tabs/spaces as soon as the text is pasted in from the external source, the text-ident property is of no use. Besides, the entire pasted text is treated like a single paragraph, which means that text-ident would affect only the very first line.

You’ve pasted in a single paragraph so it’s converted to a single paragraph the same way it would if you put the pasted text inside a <p> element.

If you want multiple paragraphs put a blank line between them.

Since the Ghost Editor strips the leading tabs/spaces as soon as the text is pasted in from the external source, the text-ident property is of no use

Whitespace is ignored in web pages so the stripping of leading spaces is inconsequential, they wouldn’t have any effect on the published page. By using some CSS like p { text-indent: 4em; } in your theme/code injection then all of your paragraphs will appear with the first line indented by 4 character widths.

1 Like

thank you so much @Kevin