Ghost.io draft post reverted to a much earlier save file

Issue Summary
Not sure where else to report this. I’m a paying ghost.io customer, but I don’t see any customer support options. Last night I was working on a draft post using a Markdown Editor card. A few days prior to that I had written about 800 words and I was pretty much finished the blog post after writing a total of 1600+ words when I went to another Markdown Editor card in the post, changed something, and suddenly the entire blog post reverted to where it was when it was just 800 words. I lost hours of work from this and there’s no way to revert!

Steps to Reproduce
I’m not entirely sure how to reproduce this, to be honest. Seems like a freak occurrence, but it has shaken my trust in the editor.

1. Write a blog post draft that includes text in the normal page, as well as with 2 markdown editor cards.
  2. Add a bunch of text in the first and second cards.
  3. Leave the post to soak overnight.
  4. Add hundreds of characters of text in the second card and attempt to edit the first card by double clicking on it.
  5. The whole blog post reverts to a previous state and all of the new text in the second card is lost.

Setup information

Ghost Version
Using ghost.io with a paid subscription

Node.js Version
N/A

How did you install Ghost?
N/A

Provide details of your host & operating system
Using ghost.io with a namecheap domain.

Database type
Whatever ghostio uses.

Browser & OS version
Chrome Version 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (arm64)
OSX Monterey 12.1

Relevant log / error output
N/A

What I’m about to say isn’t going to help you fix the problem, but will help avoid it from hapenning again.

Here it goes: always save your writing outside of the CMS/ website builder you’re using.

I write on Obsidian and later paste my posts to Ghost. This way I always have a backup.

It’s a shame that I don’t write directly on Ghost editor as the editor is amazing. But this is the type of problem I don’t want to have. So, I always write somewhere I have control

Thanks, Tiago. Yeah, that’s of course what I’m going to do going forward. I’ve downloaded a Markdown editor so I can save the posts locally. I guess I just expected a hosted service that I’m paying for to be a little more stable. The Ghost Editor is indeed great, but this has certainly shaken my confidence in it. Reverting to an earlier save state strikes me as a database issue or a local caching issue (depends how Ghost is architected, I suppose).

Would be nice if Ghost could release the editor as a standalone app I could run on my machine and write my posts locally.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.