Has Ghost stopped notifying in Admin when there are updates available?

Site is at https://petemahon.net
Running Ghost 4.7.0 - I cannot report this by updating to the latest Ghost - I literally have to wait for a new release before this is verifiable! I can state that this has been happening for about a month but I can’t say exactly when.

And

• Ghost is installed as Production. 4 different ghost installations on this machine.
  • Node 14.16.1, mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.34 on Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon with Chrome Version 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • No errors
  • Wait for new release in Github.

Ghost Admin used to tell me at Ghost Admin whenever a new release was available. I would then update my 4 installations, ghost-cli and whatever else was needed.

A few releases ago I stopped noticing the prompt - is this the same for everyone else and did I miss something in the release notes to this effect?

Ghost 4.8 was released a few hours before you posted this :slight_smile:
We did some work on this mechanism about a month ago, so it is possible it has broken. Will get this looked into.

Thanks Hannah - I’ll raise an issue. I had to wait for this latest release to show that it carried through from before.

Hey @petemahon! Can you check a piece of data in your Ghost instance’s db settings table please. The data I’m looking for can be queried in following way:

SELECT * FROM `settings` WHERE `key` = 'notifications' \G

Thanks!

Sure thing:

mysql> mysql> SELECT * FROM `settings` WHERE `key` = 'notifications' \G
*************************** 1. row ***************************
        id: 5a5911a5a2d82178378eb9f3
       key: notifications
     value: {"isFulfilled":false,"isRejected":true,"rejectionReason":{"statusCode":403,"errorType":"NoPermissionError","level":"normal","message":"You do not have permission to dismiss this notification.","id":"13724e80-ab4a-11eb-b94e-3b3e4b8c1a6f","name":"NoPermissionError","code":null,"property":null,"redirect":null}}
      type: array
created_at: 2018-01-12 19:51:01
created_by: 1
updated_at: 2021-05-02 13:27:00
updated_by: 1
     group: core
     flags: NULL
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Just as an FYI, I’ve raised an issue in Github as well.

Thanks @petemahon ! That seems like an issue with the data we’d have to solve. We are going to work on a solution.

It is advisable to wait for a proper solution. In case you are blocked and can’t wait for a proper fix, you can clear out the value for this record so that new notifications can start coming in. To do that run:

UPDATE `settings` SET `value` = '[]'  where `key` = 'notifications';

Thanks for the report and quick reply!

Thank you @naz - more than happy to wait for a solution!

1 Like