Help with Ghost Desktop app and Ghost-Admin

Hi - I’m trying to get my admin panel set up and trying to use the Ghost Desktop app with it. The Desktop App doesn’t recognize my url as being valid - even though web browsers do. Additionally, I can’t find (I’m sure this is an id10t error) the admin panel at all. I can reach my github pages just fine & I can push and pull files using the GitHub Desktop app. I just can’t connect using the Ghost desktop app.

I got the following error from the log file for the Ghost Desktop App (this is from a log file)

“Checking if http://audientmusic.github.io/Ghost/ghost/ is Ghost”

It seems as though it’s looking for the installation in a subfolder/repository?

Also, I can’t seem to get the editor from the site, either. I have the Ghost-Admin folder install at the same folder level as Ghost.

Any help would be appreciated.

• What’s your URL? audientmusic.github.io/Ghost
  • What version of Ghost are you using? 2.21.0
  • What configuration? local use dev
  • What browser? Safari/Chrome
  • What errors or information do you see in the console? see above
  • What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having?

Hey @audientmusic :wave:

First, how did you install Ghost? Did you follow one of the install methods here? How to install Ghost, the official guide

Second, http://audientmusic.github.io/Ghost/ghost/ is not a Ghost site, it’s the URL of your fork of the Ghost source code on Github. When you followed the setup guides, which URL did you configure your site on?

I used these instructions:

I configured it as audientmusic.github.io/Ghost

with no subdirectories.
Thanks for the quick response.

That guide is for a local install of Ghost running on your own laptop/desktop machine and only accessible to you - the url in that case would be something like http://localhost:2368.

If you’re only wanting to try Ghost out and aren’t too sure about the technical side of self-hosting you may want to take advantage of the free trial on https://ghost.org/. If you decide you like it then you’ve got the option of paying for the hosted version and saving a headache or you can put the time into working out all the technical details of self-hosting knowing that the time is well spent.

Thanks. I actually have it up and running at github, but the only thing that’s popping up in the README.md file. So it looks like it’s good to go. I just can’t connect to it. So even though the “github Pages” tells me it’s being published at audientmusic.github.io/Ghost - it’s not?

Github Pages is not used with a ghost at all and there is no option to publish to Github Pages unless you replace the front-end with a static site builder.

I actually have it up and running at github

I’m not sure what you mean by this. The link you’re providing is a fork of some of Ghost’s source code on Github, it’s not a Ghost installation. The local install tutorial you are following does not say anything about forking/cloning the source code, maybe you can share the steps that you have followed so far?

I think I have seen the error of my ways. I installed ghost (again) and everything worked like a champ. I was under the (wrong) impression that I could create a repository at github & sync local/github & have the pages published from there. I’m attaching a screenshot. I do not think it means what I think it means. I was also under the (wrong) impression that github would give you 1GB in storage space to host a site. Anyhow, here’s my screenshot. From what you’re saying, I think what I want to do is just impossible?
Thanks

GitHub Pages is a free service from GitHub for hosting a static website based on static files located in a special branch on your git repo. Ghost is a server that serves dynamically rendered content and an API, it’s not something that can be hosted using GitHub Pages.

Gotcha. I was completely misunderstanding that. Thanks for the clarification & the help.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.