How does one create private editorial notes at the bottom of a published post?

At the bottom of a blog post I want to make a section that only I can see (the author), like notes on what to add to the post. Does anyone know how to do this?
As a make-shift right now I am just making the post for members only, and putting my notes there.

Ah I guess my question is confusing. I just mean can I make notes at the bottom of a post that ONLY I can see?

As far as I know, Ghost does not have a an {{if}} tag for checking if the user is admin or editor - it is limited to member, paid or public.

You can read more about the different options here: Ghost Theme Development: Building custom membership flows

I have asked about this as well in the past, and unless this has changed since 4.2.x, we have no option for checking against the “user role” as such.

1 Like

Ah I guess my question is confusing. I just mean can I make notes at the bottom of a post that ONLY I can see?

From what I know, no.
To be able to do that, you need to check the user role, and there’s no way of doing that.

1 Like

Damn that sucks, I guess I’ll just keep externals notes then. Thank you!

Yep, it does. Ghost is great and yet, it lacks tons of stuff that would make it awesome.

1 Like

Yeah >.< Do you think that the people that know how to code, make their own features?

Yes, we do. While I am fairly new to Ghost (about 6 months in), coming from WordPress and WooCommerce development, I did a complete re-make of the portal and the Dawn theme.

I find Ghost to be a starting point, a template. Call it what you like…
It’s good, but it lacks so much basic functionality and people all over this forum are asking for simple things like built in support for setting the link target or text alignment.

Maybe it will come, but most likely not.
There’s not even a image gallery and the devs / admins will refer you to using a code snippet for that. Imagine having 300 (or thousands) images and having to go through that list :slight_smile:

Anyway… best of luck.

1 Like

Yeah I feel that, I just wanted to link some socials in place of the icons at the top and I have to go through a whole forum to figure out how to do that. :disappointed:

To do what you accomplished what coding do you recommend I learn? For example html and Java?

Not sure if you’re familiar with the “child theme” concept in WordPress? It means, “make changes that are not affected by updates”.

The same philosophy does not exist in Ghost. You cannot make changes to template files (*.hbs) without them being affected upon the next update.

I might be wrong since I have not been around the core or themes for a few months now.

You have two options:

#1: edit theme files (header, footer, post, page etc.) and add whatever it is you need
#2: find a script that does it for you and insert that using either the header or footer section in Ghost admin

1 Like

I guess it depends a bit on your blog approach - I dislike coming back to a post and changing it too much once its published - it confuses my readers.

If I have to revisit a topic, I generally publish a new blog-post - I might add links between the old and new posts.

What I do tend to do though is to use the DRAFT pages to keep many pages of notes and thoughts that I want to come back to / revisit. These are only available via the Admin pages - and are not shown to the public or members.

1 Like

Another approach would be to fork a Theme repo - e.g. GitHub - TryGhost/Casper: The default theme for Ghost - You can then make your changes, and periodically use git to merge upstream back into your fork.

I did this for a couple of years - being careful to keep my changes to a minimum (mostly I just included a custom.css and custom.js in default.hbs).

Over the last year I have reverted to just using code-injection - and sometimes a bit of jquery if I really need to make changes to the DOM.

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I did as well. I have custom versions.

1 Like

OML guys I am so excited! I found a way. Here’s a guide:

Just use a block code ``` + enter key and only write in the caption area then press return/enter key, and if the block code disappears just press ⌘Cmd + Z and it should come back. The results: you will only be able to see the text in. Here is an example with some pictures:

Correct way:
Steps in Ghost:

Visuals:

*Correct way:*
How it will look in Ghost in ghost editor:

How this^ will look on your published your website blog/post:

*Incorrect way:*
If you do write in the “above” area this is how it will look:

How it will look on Ghost editor:

How it will look on published your website blog/post:

What I did before to make notes at the end of my blog posts: I had the the post access set to > paid-members only features for my notes, since I was just getting started with my blog.

2 changes I had to make fix before posting:
So after discovering this block code trick and making the correct changes I had to change post access to > public

and remove this from the post

If I didn’t change it to public this error showed up (the post was not visible):

Final result once I made the changes (removed paid-member only < post access):

How it will look on Ghost editor:

How it will look on published your website blog/post:

I hope this helps you! I know I’ll be using it all the time from now on. I wrote this same post as a blog post ahaha woo! [here: https://www.ashyaura.com/ghost-how-to-make-private-notes-in-your-posts-at-the-end-or-anywhere-for-future-edits/]
Let me know if this works for you guys as well.